What to do for the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle

5 Year Member
I know the general advice reference Russian Torts is to house them on their own, however I didn't realise this when I got them. I have only had them 3 months and really love them to bits. The smaller one is called Basil and the slightly larger one is called Sybil. I think they are about 1 year old and it is too early to sex them.

Sybil has been a bit sickly, and has had problems with her eyes ...... I read advice on here and after more soaks and some antibiotics from the vets she is much better. She tends to hide away a lot more then Basil. She does eat, but only when I put the food in front of her face. She doesn't seem to like eating when Basil is there.

Basil is a picture of health is is a lot more active. He eats very well and is very alert. I live in the UK so they are in an indoor enclosure, but it is of a good size.

I am now aware after reading advice from this forum that my torts may need to be separated one day depending on their sex etc...

Although there are no obvious signs of any aggression or dominance, do you think Sybil sounds like she would be better off on her own? I am worried that I am missing any signs that There is any tension between the two, in which case I would separate them immediately.

Any advice appreciated !

Thanks

Charlie

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Bullying can include things that we don't see. If she's timid when he's around and is less comfortable to eat then it's probably going on. They do seem a little young for it, but if I were you I'd get them separated whilst it's relatively minor. It will only get worse as they grow.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You know, if these were mine I would seperate. The reasoning is just because Sybil has been sick and is now slowly recovering. Sounds like she needs to be able to eat her food slowly and in a more peaceful setting then she gets with Basil. Once she is back to normal, then you could always try them together and see what happens.

sparkle

5 Year Member
cherylim said:
Bullying can include things that we don't see. If she's timid when he's around and is less comfortable to eat then it's probably going on. They do seem a little young for it, but if I were you I'd get them separated whilst it's relatively minor. It will only get worse as they grow.

Thanks cherylim

Yeah that's was my fear really ....... The only thing that put doubt in my mind was their young age. But if it needs to be done, I will have to separate them - just want them both to be happy.

We don't have room for a second enclosure so it will mean rehoming one of them, but I think my neighbour is quite interested so might have a chat with them. At least that way I can still see them both :)

:-(

Jacqui said:
You know, if these were mine I would seperate. The reasoning is just because Sybil has been sick and is now slowly recovering. Sounds like she needs to be able to eat her food slowly and in a more peaceful setting then she gets with Basil. Once she is back to normal, then you could always try them together and see what happens.

Hi Jacqui,

I think I will have to separate them ...... As you say I want Sybil to make a full recovery and I would love to see her a bit more lively :) I would hate to think that she feels uncomfortable in her home .

Charlie

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
sparkle said:
Thanks cherylim

Yeah that's was my fear really ....... The only thing that put doubt in my mind was their young age. But if it needs to be done, I will have to separate them - just want them both to be happy.

We don't have room for a second enclosure so it will mean rehoming one of them, but I think my neighbour is quite interested so might have a chat with them. At least that way I can still see them both :)

:-(

That would be a shame. Do you have them in a table? How exactly do you have 'not enough space'?

If it's floor space, is there any way you can make a multi-storey table, with one on top and one on the bottom?

sparkle

5 Year Member
I have to have them up high because I have 2 dogs ..... At the moment the enclosure is situated on my dining room table lol. But I like it there because I can interact and monitor them most of the day.

Unfortunately at the moment I don't think our house is big enough for 2 enclosures, but I will have a serious think about it before I make any rash decisions :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Love the names- from Fawlty Towers? If you get 2 more they could be Polly and Manuel!!! :)

sparkle

5 Year Member
Moozilion said:
Love the names- from Fawlty Towers? If you get 2 more they could be Polly and Manuel!!! :)

Yep Fawlty Towers! My husband is a huge fan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.