What turtle should I get?

striker

I have been researching turtles the last week. The only ones that really catch my interest a three striped mud turtles and Mata mata's. I only know the basic care of each, but I have few questions because of conflicting information online. First, the three striped mud turtles. Do they need a basking spot? Some places say they won't use it others say its a requirement to have a land area and basking rock. Also, can they live in shallow water or not? Next, the Mata matas. I can only assume these are not begginer turtles by reading the articles I have, and I have zero experience with turtles, so I probably won't even consider them too much longer. Anyway, my question is, isn't it dangerous to feed turtles guppies and goldfish? Because of parasites? I'm sorry if I sound so dumb, but please be aware I'm very new even to researching turtles.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
actually the bigger danger with feeding water turtles goldfish is they use a hormone can make them grow fast. and the matamata turtle is a very hard Turtle to keep in captivity

striker

That's what I figured about Mata matas. Something that looks so awesome couldn't be easy. What about the three striped muds?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That's what I figured about Mata matas. Something that looks so awesome couldn't be easy. What about the three striped muds?
I've never researched or kept then so I can't comment on the other Turtle sorry.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
What size area do you have set up for either species?
Since you've never kept turtles before I really wouldn't recommend jumping into a possibly challenging species. I don't know anything about the three striped mud turtles. I have two Red Eared Sliders and have dealt with a Mississippi Map turtle for a short period of time.
But my understanding with most species of aquatic turtles is they need room. A lot of room.

striker

From what I've read about Mata matas is they need a 5x5, which I can provide. However, they seem far to advanced for a newcomer. The three striped muds get about 4 inches so I'm assuming a massive enclosure is not needed, though I would give as much as I could.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
While they might stay fairly small you could make the argument that Russian Tortoises remain fairly small as well. However, it's been proven that Russian Tortoises require a large amount of room in their enclosures as they are very active.
I think I would look into the behaviors of the 3 striped mud turtles before deciding on one.
And I don't think I'd recommend the Mata matas based on the challenge presented with them.
Hopefully someone on the forum knows something about either of these turtles! :)

striker

Things for that source. It had a very detailed article on the three striped muds. They have diet and cage requirements that I can easily provide and exceed. the idea of a paldarium style tank intrigues me :). A 20 gallon minimum as a tank is nothing. I'll probably give it a 40 or 55 gallon. Ofcourse, more research will be done before I acquire anything.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A 40 - 55 gallon tank would be fine for a three strop mud. A pretty good choice for you. Also could consider, Southern Painted, and Musk.

striker

What size cages do musk turtles need? I was also considering using a turtle tub.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
All of the three are smaller turtles mature at 4-5 inches. One would do fine in a 40, 2 in a 55. A turtle tub would work great. Biggest thing is to get the lighting and filtration correct

striker

One of the reasons I wanted a three striped mud was because I read it only needed shallow water. Would this make filtration easier? I plan on doing everything right the first time. What type of filters should these little guys have?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have a fluval 306 filter for my 40g tank. The filter is for a 75g tank, I had to double the output for a turtle.

I like the sidenecks if I had the chance to pick a turtle :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I too use fluval because it's pretty easy to clean. I also use my own custom filter when I have lots of hatchlings in a larger tank

Shallower water is not easier to keep clean It can actually get dirty quicker as it has less water volume for the same amount of turtle waste. But most smaller turtles will do better in shallower water and I use a lot of fake plastic ( not silk) plants for them to hang and hide in. These type turtles also adapt to eating a good pellet food readily and that is the best staple diet for them long term

Reactions: Rue

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Mata mata gets BIG when full grown. 3 strip mud one the other hand is probably the smallest water turtle species