What's up with Redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
O.K. as you all know it's been very hot here in sunny California. I finally got to put Dale in his enclosure thinking that I would love watching him roam around. Didn't happen! Once Dale found the hide that my husband built for him that was it (and whoever thinks that tortoises are stupid or that they don't have an excellent memory, almost like an elephant) are very wrong. He went into the hide and never came out until nightime when I brought him into the house. The next day I put Dale out in the enclosure I faced him away from his hide and quite far from it too when the next thing I know he has turned around and started walking towards the hide where he spent the rest of the day. Today it was a little cooler so I thought forget it he's just going to hide so leave him where he is. What's up with Redfoots do they ever roam around and what does it take to get them to come out of their hide? I have my chair set up next to his enclosure and I've got to say so far it' very boring. :( Candy Here's a picture of the hide that my husband made for him and I also told my little boys that some mushrooms had grown overnight in there. :p

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's large, roomy and the darkest spot in the enclosure :p Exactly where a Redfoot wants to be Candy. :D They really do like to hide when they are young and/or in a new place.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
My son went out with his keyboard to play to the Emma and Dale the other day. He told me that after a while Dale came out, but I tried it and he didn't move, it's going to be an our goal now to find something that will bring him out.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
From what little I know about redfoots, the hide is much more like his natural habitat than the rest of the outdoor enclosure. Can you get any more plant coverage in there? Maybe some kind of sun shade, artificial or real? Also, over time he should become more comfortable there and realize it too is home. The more you let him settle in there and not mess with him, the more likely he is to come out and play. The fresh air and any little bit of real sun he gets is better than nothing at all.

Trevor dug down in the bedding in his outdoor container the first time we put him on the balcony (moveable), even though he had a hide log. That's where he felt safe. Over time, I think he'll get used to the container and become more adventurous for him limited outdoor time.

I like the mushrooms! I've been wanting to get one of those really realistic tort sculptures just to see if Trevor thinks its real or not...he gets scared by even a glimpse of his reflection, so that would be kinda funny if it wouldn't hurt him.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Keyboard: While tortoises can hear certain frequencies, and easily feel any vibrations, they do not respond to sound cues often- so don't count on this working.

The Pen: My thoughts are...
- grass is pretty, but Red-foots like more plantings- especially edible stuff.
- flat pens are boring. Make it more interesting by adding hills. Your hide would be a great place to put some earthen ramps on both sides, with a little safety wall along the front.

Hiding: The peak time for activity for most Red-foots is the morning, then usually hide/digest until afternoon cool-down, eat or wander, hide and sleep. They also tend to hide when it is warm.

Want to see them frolic? Most Red-foots LOVE a good, warm rain!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I was telling my husband I want to make it more like a rainforest in there for him then he would have a bunch of plants to hide under. I'm sure he'll get used to it after he's in there a while. We were also thinking of putting an upstairs to his hide I think that's what we're going to do that's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestions looks like I have more work to do. :D

Nido

5 Year Member
I know what you mean. Lilly has a nice big outdoor enclosure and all she ever wants to do is dig a nice nest in the thick ferns and sleep all day. And like you said, no matter how much the area changes, or how long it's been since she's been put there she goes straight for the same spot no matter what.

I try hiding little bits of her favorite fruit in various areas (mango for her). Your tortoise should be able to smell it and go hunting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Candy said:
I was telling my husband I want to make it more like a rainforest in there for him then he would have a bunch of plants to hide under. I'm sure he'll get used to it after he's in there a while. We were also thinking of putting an upstairs to his hide I think that's what we're going to do that's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestions looks like I have more work to do. :D

Just remember that little tortoises are prey and as such they hide most of the time. He will feel more secure once you get all the plants going. If it were my habitat, I would take out the grass. You are going to have a tough time keeping grass under control once you have it planted and have to be watering all the time. And redfoots don't eat grass.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That is one great hide! Plant some hostas. They hold in moisture and are great hiding places. What a great enclosure.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Terryo I looked them up on the internet to see what they were so now I know. There very nice looking and perfect for Dale to hide under. I love the hide also thank you and it's especially good because it was free to build. I'm glad to here that you got your money back. :)

gary27

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Louisiana
Candy said:
Thank you Terryo I looked them up on the internet to see what they were so now I know. There very nice looking and perfect for Dale to hide under. I love the hide also thank you and it's especially good because it was free to build. I'm glad to here that you got your money back. :)

My Redfoot has always been active in the morning and in the afternoon, particuarly when it's hot. Otherwise, he's in his hide. Now, he will set in the sun if it's a little cool at night, and he will start roaming around when he hears me and is looking for food. I think this mimics their natural behavior where hot during the middle of the day. My marginated, which come from a cooler enviroment, are active all day. I think he's just doing what comes naturally, of course it's hot here in Louisiana, might be different somewhere else, and i only have one redfoot,about 9 inches and around 4 lb...........Gary

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yeah, like everyone else said some more pants will do the trick. Also the more he is out there the more use to it he will get and the safer he will feel meaning he could come out more. I put my guys out and they do the same thing, but once they are out for awhile or days in a row they will come out and walk around

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maui, Hawaii
I live on Maui and I'm fortunate enough that everyday is a good day to keep my RF's outside. Plants definitely help to keep them comfortable.
I have Ti leaf plants in my enclosure. It creates a canopy that allows filtered light to pass thru and keeps the bottom open. They love to bask in the morning. I think because they are comfortable with the enclosure they spend a lot of time outside of the hide. When they are inside their hide they come walking out when they see me, more so if they smell the Mazuri.

RF TF2.JPGRF TF1.JPGRF TF3.JPGRF TF4.JPG
spuds said:
I live on Maui and I'm fortunate enough that everyday is a good day to keep my RF's outside. Plants definitely help to keep them comfortable.
I have Ti leaf plants in my enclosure. It creates a canopy that allows filtered light to pass thru and keeps the bottom open. They love to bask in the morning. I think because they are comfortable with the enclosure they spend a lot of time outside of the hide. When they are inside their hide they come walking out when they see me, more so if they smell the Mazuri.

Last edited by a moderator:

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow you have a lot of redfoots are they all kept together in that enclosure? I love your plants.

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maui, Hawaii
Candy said:
Wow you have a lot of redfoots are they all kept together in that enclosure? I love your plants.
I have 5 RF's. 4 of them are cherry head (2.2), and 1 female northern. Yes, they all live in the same enclosure (3'x9'). They aren't that large... yet. But I know I'm gonna have to build a larger enclosure soon. For now they get to roam the yard where they forage for weeds, snails, and slugs.

tortoisenerd said:
spuds-Sounds like paradise for both you and the torts!
I feel very fortunate that I am able to keep my herps outside all year.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
spuds said:
Candy said:
I have 5 RF's. 4 of them are cherry head (2.2), and 1 female northern. Yes, they all live in the same enclosure (3'x9'). They aren't that large... yet. But I know I'm gonna have to build a larger enclosure soon. For now they get to roam the yard where they forage for weeds, snails, and slugs.

tortoisenerd said:
spuds-Sounds like paradise for both you and the torts!
I feel very fortunate that I am able to keep my herps outside all year.

Are African snails poisonous to them? I know that we don't have as many as we used to, but I know that they are poisonous to many animals. Your torts are beautiful! I hope to one day have as many beauties as you do!

Status
Not open for further replies.