Wheat grass ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

way2gfy

5 Year Member
I purchased one of those little containers of Wheat Grass at Petsmart and the grass looked horrible. I trimmed the tops off and gave it some water and now it looks much better. The roots are completely compacted and I can pull the whole block of roots out of the container with no problem.

I want to see if it is ok to plant it in another pot so that it will grow bigger than this little 2"x2" square pot. What kinds of soil? Do I pull the roots apart so they can expand?

My little DT (Squirt) loves his Wheat Grass and I am thinking this little container may not keep up with him.

Thanks.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I would always break the roots up... but not ravage them, just loosen them.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Does your tort like wheat grass? I could never get my girl to eat any

way2gfy

5 Year Member
He does, very much. That was the first thing he ate after having him for a week. I was relieved because I was starting to worry.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Organic Wheat Grass can also be found at health food stores, and even some grocery stores like Safeway. I found it cheaper and fresher than the pet store stuff. My tort doesn't have a taste for it however. Anything does a lot better planted with more soil than in the temporary containers.

way2gfy-Is your tort eating anything else yet?

way2gfy

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd, thanks I will check out the health food stores around here because I am almost completly out of his grass. He eats the crab grass in the backyard when I take him out there for his supervised walks and he eats "some" of the Grassland Tortoise Food. I tried a all kinds of other stuff like turnip greens, spring mix, mustard greens, some carrots peels and cactus pear and he just doesn't seem to like any of it except for his stuff in the back yard and the wheat grass.

I hope after this hibernation that he will like the stuff I plant in his pen once we get it built. I checked out some stuff at carolinapetsupply.com so I am excited.

Thanks.

tortoisenerd said:
Organic Wheat Grass can also be found at health food stores, and even some grocery stores like Safeway. I found it cheaper and fresher than the pet store stuff. My tort doesn't have a taste for it however. Anything does a lot better planted with more soil than in the temporary containers.

way2gfy-Is your tort eating anything else yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.