Wheezing/Crying!

tombromley1990

Location (City and/or State)
Wigan
I have a 2 year old Hermans tortoise and I've suddenly noticed she has been been making a wheezing/crying noise, kind of like a dog does for attention. So I'm just wandering if it's normal and if it is because she wants attention?

Thank you!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @tombromley1990 and welcome to the forum. ;)

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure so as to enable us to help you.

Read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet available and ask ANY question whenever in doubt.

Look forward to seeing pics. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This might be a sign of a respiratory infection. It's not normal for tortoises to make noise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have a 2 year old Hermans tortoise and I've suddenly noticed she has been been making a wheezing/crying noise, kind of like a dog does for attention. So I'm just wandering if it's normal and if it is because she wants attention?

Thank you!
Is there any sign of discharge from the nose/mouth? Are the eyes clear? What is your tortoise doing when it makes these noises? Is your tort otherwise active and eating as normal?

tombromley1990

Wigan
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476817687.713453.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476817703.240558.jpg

Hi, there is no sign of infection or anything related.

It's not constant the noise just every so often like when she comes near, I let her out abit and was wandering if it's because she wants come out.

She looks healthy. Fed very well and bathed regularly.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

tombromley1990

Wigan
No not really. It's very faint you can only hear the noise when you're close. It's hard to explain it haha she sits at the glass sometimes at the front just staring at me wanting come out and when I open the door she comes towards me and you can hear the noise like she knows I'm there and wants attention

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My tort makes a wheezing noise when wet. I know it's weird, but it's true. It kind of squeaks/wheezes when she breaths out really hard. Is that something like what your tortoise is doing? Ordinarily, it is not usual for them to make noises like that.