Wheezing loud1

Status
Not open for further replies.

allieooop42

5 Year Member
We have a 30 yr old California Desert tortoise we have had for about 4 years. We have noticed increasing wheeze or whistle when she breaths, loud enough to hear inside the house with door open. She roams the yard and looks well, active, eating "off the land" with occasional veggies or fruits. Pooping normally. No drainage from nose or mouth. This has been going on since we got her 4 yrs ago but seem louder. Should we be concerned?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, you should be concerned.

But first, before you try to find a qualified tortoise vet in your town, take a good look in bright light, into her nose and see if the nares are plugged up. You can even squirt some sterile saline solution in each nostril to see if that helps. Squirt with enough force to flush out any obstruction.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
and consider NOT letting her hibernate if you arent sure...
If you try to flush her nose.. dont worry about it getting into her lungs...it goes into thier mouth or back of throat.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D may we please see a pic of your tortoise, we LOVE PICS :p

I do not know what part of the world your tortoise lives in (likely california somewhere :p) but here in the high desert california it has been WAAAAAAY dry with very little rain (maybe two or three drops this year) and every thing is super dry....I will increase yard watering to once a day or at least every other day and always make sure your tort has a deep enough soaking dish appropriate for their size so that they can climb in ad soak themselves....

You may be hearing a very dry tort whistling in the heat....I know that this sounds silly but I have noticed it as well here a bit more this summer than in the prior few years when we actually had some moisture....

All of the other suggestions are good too...just thought I would mention this....also, does your tort have a cool place to retreat to each day in the heat of the day?

allieooop42

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Welcome to the Forum :D may we please see a pic of your tortoise, we LOVE PICS :p

I do not know what part of the world your tortoise lives in (likely california somewhere :p) but here in the high desert california it has been WAAAAAAY dry with very little rain (maybe two or three drops this year) and every thing is super dry....I will increase yard watering to once a day or at least every other day and always make sure your tort has a deep enough soaking dish appropriate for their size so that they can climb in ad soak themselves....

You may be hearing a very dry tort whistling in the heat....I know that this sounds silly but I have noticed it as well here a bit more this summer than in the prior few years when we actually had some moisture....

All of the other suggestions are good too...just thought I would mention this....also, does your tort have a cool place to retreat to each day in the heat of the day?

We are in Southern California/ orange county. Yes it has been very dry and hot. She does have shade to go to and we give her water and allow her to soak .I am going to see if it is worse on hot days. i believe it is now that i think about it.
I appreciate all the other responses and will try to :tort:check her nose. yuck.
;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
will try to :tort:check her nose. yuck.

Laughed really hard, it is not that bad---the trick is to keep her interested long enough to get a good look....lol....:D

Hey....I just realized, you still did not post a pic of her....I really really really, did I say really....love to see pics of this species and a female is a bit rarer to see at that....if you would not mind I mean :D

Status
Not open for further replies.