When can my hatchlings live outside?

negrtalk

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I have 4 hatchling 3 toed box turtles, all about 4 months old. Their mother already lives in my back yard in her enclosure, and is hibernating as we speak. My question is what temperature do the hatchlings need in order to survive outside. I live in central Texas for reference. I was thinking of setting up a smaller sub-enclosure in my back yard and either taking them inside at night or letting them stay in the back yard full time. I just need to know what their cold hardiness is. Thanks.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I have 4 hatchling 3 toed box turtles, all about 4 months old. Their mother already lives in my back yard in her enclosure, and is hibernating as we speak. My question is what temperature do the hatchlings need in order to survive outside. I live in central Texas for reference. I was thinking of setting up a smaller sub-enclosure in my back yard and either taking them inside at night or letting them stay in the back yard full time. I just need to know what their cold hardiness is. Thanks.
Their even cold tolerant as babies, but you want them to be a decent size or in a super secure enclosure that's even rat proof. All they need is a deep substrate below the frost line. You could bring them out this spring and leave them out for the year if everything is in order.

negrtalk

Austin, TX
Their even cold tolerant as babies, but you want them to be a decent size or in a super secure enclosure that's even rat proof. All they need is a deep substrate below the frost line. You could bring them out this spring and leave them out for the year if everything is in order.
Thanks for the response. The enclosure is already secure, so that part is ok. But is it ok to bring them out earlier than this spring since I live in central Texas?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Thanks for the response. The enclosure is already secure, so that part is ok. But is it ok to bring them out earlier than this spring since I live in central Texas?
That I can't tell you. If the temperature is fluctuating like crazy and is inconsistent, I'd hold off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Babies will do best when raised mostly indoors until they are at least half grown. Consistent controlled conditions, and the safety that is afforded indoors in a large closed chamber is what they need. Short excursions to the great outdoors in favorable weather once in a while is fine, but they thrive indoors as babies. Adults? Outside full time with the right enclosure for sure, but not little babies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Babies will do best when raised mostly indoors until they are at least half grown. Consistent controlled conditions, and the safety that is afforded indoors in a large closed chamber is what they need. Short excursions to the great outdoors in favorable weather once in a while is fine, but they thrive indoors as babies. Adults? Outside full time with the right enclosure for sure, but not little babies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I put my juveniles out in the Spring when they are at least 3..4 years old. I watch them all Summer and if they are eating and adjusting well with the adults then I leave them out for the Winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I put my juveniles out in the Spring when they are at least 3..4 years old. I watch them all Summer and if they are eating and adjusting well with the adults then I leave them out for the Winter.
Hi Terry! So nice to see you posting!

You quoted my post. Did I do okay?