When outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
ok everyone when your torts are outside how long do they actually stay out before they go into their hides? mine seem to go to their hides fairly quickly

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine does not wander around much. He, leopard, will for a while. The he goes to one of his three fave spots and stays there during the hottest part if the day. Then he will wander around again and then go back and hide again.. Just don't forget, the hottest part if the day they will hide, same as in the wild. Also, they will still get UVB even in the shade. In an actual hide, probably not, but they don't need much sunlight compared to how much fake light we need to give them.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It depends on how hot it is. Mine come out in the early morning to bask and warm up. As it warms up they go into their hides. Then they come out in the late afternoon to graze. Hope that was helpful. :)

EKLC

5 Year Member
In the heat of midday here, the dirt is 140 degrees. My torts like to bask in the morning, and then hide for the rest of the day, occasionally coming out for a few minutes to eat here or there.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I got Shermann out all day yesterday here in the UK. Temperatures were a whopping 20*C. It cooled off a bit in the afternoon, so he was out from about 10am-5pm, but he went into his hide at about 2pm.

Even though it's nice and sunny outside, it's not quite warm enough to let him out just yet. I don't like letting him get too cold!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Apart from when he's eating, Joe doesn't do much at all. He finds a spot at the right temperature and splodges out until he needs to move or feels hungry again.

It's only different if he feels the need to have a go at someone innocently gardening or hanging out the laundry... Or his long-standing foe, the lawnmower, needs seeing off

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Joanne said:
I got Shermann out all day yesterday here in the UK. Temperatures were a whopping 20*C. It cooled off a bit in the afternoon, so he was out from about 10am-5pm, but he went into his hide at about 2pm.

Even though it's nice and sunny outside, it's not quite warm enough to let him out just yet. I don't like letting him get too cold!

Its nice to hear other people complain about cold tempertures too. Here in Norway 20C is considered very warm. I put my greek in his outdoor enclosure everytime the temps reach to 20C or higher and I dont take him back in until about 8pm (unless it starts raining a lot).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: When outside

gtc said:
Joanne said:

Its nice to hear other people complain about cold tempertures too. Here in Norway 20C is considered very warm. I put my greek in his outdoor enclosure everytime the temps reach to 20C or higher and I dont take him back in until about 8pm (unless it starts raining a lot).

You win gtc. We moan about the cold in the UK... but it's nothing like as cold as Norway! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here at my place it all depends upon the species. The leopards don't come out until late morning, almost afternoon. They eat their fill for an hour or so then go back in.

The Aldabrans stay out all day and go back in early evening.

Dudley, the sulcata, sometimes goes under a bush after he's finished with brunch, sometimes he'll go back into his house. Then he comes out again late afternoon and eat some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.