When to start Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
I have been reading posts about how great Mazuri is for the torts but the other day I came across one that said not to feed it till they are older. I was thinking of getting some for Dizzy in hopes that he would start liking it at an early age and continue to eat it.

Is there a certain age to start feeling Mazuri? Also I live in a small town in Central New York any ideas on where to buy it?

Dizzy in a Sulcata and is 5 weeks old.

Thank you for the help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Five weeks old is probably way too young. However it might be okay as a snack if you want once in a while, but not needed. I tried giving it to my leopard at about 9-10mo and he still doesn't eat it. You can buy it from Mazuri.com 25 pounds for 26-28 dollars plus shipping. I think that is the cheapest I have found it. See what others say.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have been feeding it since about two months old, and am very satisfied with it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
There is no age limit on feeding, but some do develop a craving for it, a feed store should carry it or be able to order it.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I start feeding Mazuri from day 1.......

The only side effect is growth, and lots of it.......I don't know about you, but I like my animals to grow as fast as their genetic potential lets them........

Alot of old school keepers will tell you that is the wrong way to do things.......I disagree......

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
You can start them as early as you'd like. I prefer not to start till about a month or two. When I do I only feed.it to them once every couple weeks. I prefer a more natural green diet but there's nothing wrong with it. Just my personal preference.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
EricIvins said:
I start feeding Mazuri from day 1.......

The only side effect is growth, and lots of it.......I don't know about you, but I like my animals to grow as fast as their genetic potential lets them........

Alot of old school keepers will tell you that is the wrong way to do things.......I disagree......

I completely agree I start whenever they will eat it. It is always available as there everyday meal. If it wouldnt be good the first couple of months why would it be good for them after that?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
my leopards have had it since I've had them (got one at 6 weeks and the other at 6 months) but they only get it a couple of times a week.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The day I get a new tortoise I offer mazuri, not all take to it right away but once they get the taste for it, they really enjoy it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Aldabraman doesn't feed Mazuri to his little ones.

He says here that his hatchlings are fed "fed a variety of natural grass, weeds, cactus, and mixed assorted greens" for the first 30-60 days and this combined with warmth, hydration and humidity keeps them growing steady and smooth without pyramidding issues.

I think his approach easily transfers to other species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed it two or three times a week as soon as they hatch. I feed other stuff too, but I value the Mazuri as a good supplement and insurance that they are getting enough protein. I have had nothing but good results with it.

Still, GB IS correct. No tortoise ever NEEDS it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tom said:
I feed it two or three times a week as soon as they hatch. I feed other stuff too, but I value the Mazuri as a good supplement and insurance that they are getting enough protein. I have had nothing but good results with it.

Still, GB IS correct. No tortoise ever NEEDS it.
I have an RF that might disagree with you tom.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I feed it twice a week to mine. As for where to get it, Mazuri.com has free shipping at the moment

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As you have noticed, there is a lot of disagreement about using Mazuri, etc. period, much less when to start it.

I don't know any reason you cannot start it immediately, but I would caution you to only feed it as it was intended- 2-4% of body weight. If you little guy is about 60 grams, that would be 1.2 to 2.4 grams of food- or two pellets max (at 1.05gr per pellet per instructions- http://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5M21-5E06.pdf )

Personally, I am not a fan of maximum growth rates for reptiles. There is a fine line between obesity and all of the health implications that carries and "... [encouraging] animals to grow as fast as their genetic potential lets them." I think most reptile keepers would have a hard time toeing, but not crossing, the line.

There is a decent article on this subject at http://houstonreptile.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata loves Mazuri. Like many others I will mix other foods in with it. I have used it to introduce new foods to him as he has grown bigger. I first used it when he was small to get the worming medicine in him. I just couldn't see how it would work with the greens I was feeding him. It is also great for getting him to eat the calcium and mineral supplements. Later, I diced up some cactus pads and mixed them in. With almost ever new food he would reject it at first and then come back to it. The Mazuri that I feed him today will be a mix of 50% re-hydrated Timothy, 10% Bermuda, and only 40% Mazuri. He gets this four time a week and will eat about 2% of his weight.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
As you have noticed, there is a lot of disagreement about using Mazuri, etc. period, much less when to start it.

I don't know any reason you cannot start it immediately, but I would caution you to only feed it as it was intended- 2-4% of body weight. If you little guy is about 60 grams, that would be 1.2 to 2.4 grams of food- or two pellets max (at 1.05gr per pellet per instructions- http://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5M21-5E06.pdf )

Personally, I am not a fan of maximum growth rates for reptiles. There is a fine line between obesity and all of the health implications that carries and "... [encouraging] animals to grow as fast as their genetic potential lets them." I think most reptile keepers would have a hard time toeing, but not crossing, the line.

There is a decent article on this subject at http://houstonreptile.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2

Obesity is a husbandry problem - point blank

It is a metabolism issue, directly related to heat and basking temperatures, which most "keepers" keep below any Ectothermically beneficial level......

If you understand how Ectotherms process what they take in, and the options they need to do so, there isn't an issue and it is black and white for the most part........That is the difference between a "knowledgeable keeper", and just a "keeper".......

Unfortunatley, most "keepers" tend to disregard this kind of captive husbandry information because it is more than just the status quo - It means you actually have to do more than just keeping the animal breathing for them to achieve life events - Once an individual actually wraps his or her head around this, all these ailments and syndromes tend go away for the most part.......

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
EricIvins said:
Madkins007 said:

Obesity is a husbandry problem - point blank

It is a metabolism issue, directly related to heat and basking temperatures, which most "keepers" keep below any Ectothermically beneficial level......

If you understand how Ectotherms process what they take in, and the options they need to do so, there isn't an issue and it is black and white for the most part........That is the difference between a "knowledgeable keeper", and just a "keeper".......

Unfortunatley, most "keepers" tend to disregard this kind of captive husbandry information because it is more than just the status quo - It means you actually have to do more than just keeping the animal breathing for them to achieve life events - Once an individual actually wraps his or her head around this, all these ailments and syndromes tend go away for the most part.......

I would love to know more about your thoughts on this. Do you have any sources you can recommend?

Obesity is considered a dietary issue (as well as a husbandry) issue by the reptile nutritionists I can find, like Dr. Susan Donoghue (article in Mader's "Reptile Medicine and Surgery") or the author of the linked article. They express concerns about things like fatty liver, etc. Too much food that is too rich, too little opportunity to work it off... that sounds like the classic formula for dietary issues.

You SEEM to be saying that I can feed them all I want as long as I boost the temps enough to compensate?

Status
Not open for further replies.