When to worry

AZSid

I noticed that Pavona's plastron is a bit squishy. I know she's still young, and there should be some give, but it's never been noticeable until today... and I'm worried. She eats like a champ, her temps and humidity are great. She gets sunlight almost every day and nightly soaks. She was eating solely out of the yard and garden for a few weeks so I'm wondering if she just wasn't getting enough calcium as I'm not 100% sure what she was eating. I mean, I know what was available, but not which ones she was actually chomping on consistently. She has a cuttlebone available, but has never showed any interest in it. So today I broke down and bought her some store bought greens (she refuses to eat her garden greens unless they are firmly planted in the soil) of kale and romaine and got her to eat it sprinkled with calcium. If the squish is calcium related, how long until I should notice a difference OR how long until I should worry (more, because I'm already freaking out) and be taking fecal samples to the vet?

I know she was started out fantastically and that while in my care she has always had humidity, heat, sunlight, and a varied diet even if it hasn't always been easy getting her to eat it! She is gaining weight (kind of slowly... 24 grams since June 30) but gaining nonetheless. What else could be going on that I need to be looking out for?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
is it squishy like spongy or I leather like, like it should be? tortoiseshell starts out very pliable and leather-like after a while with calcium and sunshine either with their natural diet or supplement it starts to harden up. You have to worry when it starts getting softer. That's when you start freaking out and worrying.

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I think somebody said , it should have a little give (like pressing on the lid of a plastic butter tub for example) . Grape leaves are also high in calcium if you have access to them. I sprinkle a little crushed up eggshell on Speedy's Mazuri when I think of it , he will eat anything mixed with Mazuri ! :)