When was the last time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I don't own a cheque book. Very few retailers actually accept cheques now, none of the mainstream supermarkets do either. I believe cheques are being withdrawn from use here in the UK in October 2018.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I like to use checks for the things Terry mentioned, plus stuff like Butterbraids and Cookie dough that the students were recently selling...soccer fees are paid by check, car registration renewals, high school fees, charitable contributions...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yourlocalpoet said:
I don't own a cheque book. Very few retailers actually accept cheques now, none of the mainstream supermarkets do either. I believe cheques are being withdrawn from use here in the UK in October 2018.

Quite a few of the merchants that I write checks to have a voiding system that voids the check and then they give it back to me. Whey I get my statement it says that that voided check was electronically paid.

moswen

5 Year Member
haha high school probably when my parents thought it would be a good idea for me to get some good practice with a checking account... they made me write checks for literally everything... esp school if i had to pay anything for school they would make me write the check, then they'd put money into my account for it. i remember thinking how dumb it was, bc debit cards are way faster and atm's are everywhere. and when i flew from the nest and went to college, i got a debit card. and all my bills are automatic withdrawls

and last night at dinner my mom tried to pay with a check. :)

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
I write out 4 checks a month for bills.

Now, I am going to say this, especially with the holidays comming up: I am a cashier (will not say where). People know they are comming to the store. They know they are going to buy things. I love it and wish other customers would do what some customers do: fill in everything but the amount. Sign it, date it, put the store's name in the "payable to" part. Saves so much time.

Also, if you are not going to pay by check, please have your payment handy, within reasonable reach. Please do not empty out your purse and go through all 3 wallets looking for your debit card only to realize it's out in your car. I could care less as I'm working my 8 hour shift regardless if I have 1 or 400 customers. The reason I ask this is because the people behind you want to get in and out of the store quickly.

Tom said:
I hate paying for anything online. I just don't like my digits out there anymore than they have to be. The less info about me on the internet the better. That's why this forum is such a departure from the norm for me. You debit card users are crazy. That's direct access to your accounts.

Yeah, but it is a lot safer than using money. Someone robs you, how are you going to prove that you had x amount of dollars. Someone takes my debit card, I can go to the bank and verify which transactions were mine and the bank will take care of the rest.

Speaking of which, it's pay day. I've got to go to the chiropractor (pulled a muscle in my back at work) and go grocery shopping.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D For you who hate waiting in the line for the check to get written, try waiting while the cashier/CSM has to call in and get authorization on you using those cards.:D I was for several years the overnight front end manager at a WalMart. When those calls on cards had to be made, it would usually take about 15 minutes (usually more). :(

[/color]

Jerseynox

5 Year Member
se michigan
what is this check thing you speak of ?????? oh wait thats when your king is in trouble

S

stells

I don't even have a cheque book anymore... everything is paid either direct debit or by my debit card... if something does require me to send off money i get a postal order....

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
I still pay about half my bills every month by check. One of these days, I'll probably switch em to autopay.

Frank

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I pay doctors bills, the gardener, propane, all charitable donations, sports fees probably more by check.

S

stells

I did notice on Danny's visits over here that we seem to be alot more advanced in the UK with the whole banking side of things... chip and pin is everywhere here now... every credit/debit card has a chip... Danny had a few problems because his card didn't... very few of us use cheques... most things can be paid for online... from groceries to bills... i'm sure you will all catch up soon :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Same here, now the credit cards and Debit cards have chips... So many passwords to remember :rolleyes: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.