When was the last time

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
you wrote a check? seriously I write one check a year and that is to the turtle and tortoise club. They accept cash and check and I don't pay it in cash, so once a year in october I write a check, everything else I pay it in cash or my debit card, even my mortgage is paid by debit. So when was the last time you wrote one? Or on the other hand do you write a lot of them? I was at the store the other day and I actually saw a lady (older) write one so I asked the cashier how often she sees them, and she said they still get a couple of them a week but not many.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I write lots of checks. I send checks for birthday presents, I give checks out for Christmas presents, I pay some bills with checks ....not all...most I pay on line. I have a Christmas club, and I pay with a check.....lots!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
2 months ago... I write a couple of checks a year to pay some bills, wedding gifts...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I do not have a checking account or a credit card, nor have I ever and I like it that way :) I do have a Paypal account and a prepay re-loadable Walmart Visa card. That is all I need.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I forgot to mention that my credit union allows me one free cashiers check and one free money order per day. So if I need a check or money order I go that route.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I dislike being in line behind someone writing a check. I maybe send a check out maybe 3 times a year.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Paypal for me for anything online. Cash or Debit for everything else.

And a money order to Tom *grumbles* for some roaches because he doesn't have paypal.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Missy said:
I dislike being in line behind someone writing a check. I maybe send a check out maybe 3 times a year.

Why do you have to be in line behind someone to write a check? You mean you have to go to the bank? I don't understand.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I still write a few checks. In fact, there are many places around here who will take a check, but not a credit/debit card. That means propane, water, electric, house taxes, car plates, even Chinese meals in our local area are all by check. I feel much safer, too paying by check then cash.

I don't have any credit cars (or loans) and I never will again. I do have a bank debit card and that gets used more then the checks and cash combined.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
terryo said:
Missy said:

Why do you have to be in line behind someone to write a check? You mean you have to go to the bank? I don't understand.

I get it - she means if she is standing in line, and the person in front of her is writing a check, she dislikes it.

I have to say I do too. I mean, if they can get it done and over with in a few seconds, fine, but if I am still standing there 5 minutes later, my impatience level skyrockets.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hate paying for anything online. I just don't like my digits out there anymore than they have to be. The less info about me on the internet the better. That's why this forum is such a departure from the norm for me. You debit card users are crazy. That's direct access to your accounts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone was able to use my ATM card, charging hundreds of $$$ at three different AT&T cell stores, so I canceled it and didn't order a new one. I now pay my bills online, and when I go shopping (of any kind) I write a check.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
kyryah said:
terryo said:
Missy said:

I get it - she means if she is standing in line, and the person in front of her is writing a check, she dislikes it.

I have to say I do too. I mean, if they can get it done and over with in a few seconds, fine, but if I am still standing there 5 minutes later, my impatience level skyrockets.

Ohhh I get it. If I'm paying my Macy's charge, I write the check before I go there, and just pay it at one of the registers. I pay Macy's, Sears, and JCPenny right at the store with a check. I never use a Debit card..ever. Very scary. I only have one charge that gives rewards every time you make a purchase.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use a debitcard for most things, but I am driven to murder when some old broad writes a check for groceries. They act like they didn't realize they were gonna have to pay for the groceries. Why couldn't they write the check while waiting in line instead of when they get to the check stand? I live in a town full of old people and I swear I am the only one to use a debit card...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL Maggie, yes, I hate to be prejudicial against older people, but that is exactly it. You stand in line for ten minutes, watch the cashier ring up your items for another 5, and THEN go digging through your purse for your checkbook? Come on!!! ;)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I use a debit card for most local purchases, write checks for my bills. I always use the self-check out, no waiting. My pet peeve would be going to the bank on the day Social Security checks arrive. To be avoided!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Our water bill can only be paid be sending in a check...so we have that every month (its a third party billing which I hate because they make us pay the usual meter read fee plus a billing fee). Besides that, just the odd check for stuff like wedding gifts. We put everything we can on our AMEX so we get the cash back, and pay it off every month. Much easier to track expenses that way too. A few bills don't take credit cards, like electric bill and rent, so we have auto pay from our checking account. Its funny to hear about people still mailing in all their bill payments with checks. Saves lots of time and money to not use the stamps and checks (since it costs money to buy checks). Even though if someone makes fraudulent charges on your debit or credit card you won't be held responsible, I don't use my debit card because someone could clean out my account and I could bounce a check (credit cards have more protection, and as long as you spend within your means and use them responsibly, I think they are fine). The only place I ever use my debit card besides an ATM is at Winco when we got every couple months, because that is all they take (I don't carry more than $20!). I wonder when we have kids if by then we won't even have checks, and I'll show my kids what we used to have to write out in the olden days lol.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
Once a year to register my car. That is it. I use online bill pay for everything else, so they write checks for me or send them electronically if the biller allows it.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I usually only write a check if I'm purchasing something from someone online and they don't have an actual store/website.

I just looked in my checkbook and the last check I wrote was in February 2010 for a speeding ticket :p
Before that it was November 2009 when I had to mail someone a check for a bar crawl t-shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.