When will my Sulcata full stand?

Rikki Green

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth, TX
My one year old Sulcata still appears to army crawl and doesn’t full stand on his back legs. Is there something I should be doing to help with his muscles? We have recently put him in a larger enclosure and started letting him explore the back yard.

Rikki Green

Fort Worth, TX
How long have you had it and what substrate has it been living on ?
I have had him over a year since he was a hatchling. Generally we buy the eco earth substrate . It looks like mini wood chips all cut up. This time around we put a thick layer of top soil with the Same substrate on top.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
The tortoise should be walking normally (with the plastron off the ground) immediately - this is not something that takes time to develop. If you pull on his rear legs, can he retract them with a lot of force?

Is he fully hydrated all the time? What do you feed it?

Has he had any antibiotic treatments in his life?

Rikki Green

Fort Worth, TX
The tortoise should be walking normally (with the plastron off the ground) immediately - this is not something that takes time to develop. If you pull on his rear legs, can he retract them with a lot of force?

Yes, he retracts quickly and is still speedy when walking in the backyard or through his enclosure . We feed him Mazuri pellets , romaine and carrots . He has plenty of water plus I bathe him twice a week and keep a spray bottle by his enclosure and spray him and the entire enclosure several times a day.

Rikki Green

Fort Worth, TX
Try to upload a few pix of your Sully & enclosures.
Today was the first day we put him outside . After these pics I brought the entire enclosure back in. The plant was dying and the temp was reading really high.

Attachments

• 70D864AA-F7DB-4D36-AD9D-E5E25D7B3792.jpeg
    70D864AA-F7DB-4D36-AD9D-E5E25D7B3792.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 7ED40B26-3FC3-4079-BCF3-3FEE6AA39B21.jpeg
    7ED40B26-3FC3-4079-BCF3-3FEE6AA39B21.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 83
  • 24C744C4-05CC-4F7C-9890-B31733529AB3.jpeg
    24C744C4-05CC-4F7C-9890-B31733529AB3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 55E1D8F0-CFA0-47C9-8568-1DD7429A19B8.jpeg
    55E1D8F0-CFA0-47C9-8568-1DD7429A19B8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88

Rikki Green

Fort Worth, TX

No antibiotic treatments

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Has the Tortoise had proper uvb?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
We used to have a light on him but then we moved him in front of our kitchen windows. He gets natural light but it’s dark at night. No lamp.
UVB doesn't pass thru glass. There's your problem. Your tortoise probably has the beginning stages of Metabolic Bone Disease from lack of UVB.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Nothing better than the sun itself. A few hours a week outside in natural sunlight should help. Just make sure you provide shade too.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Also along with what @Toddrickfl1 said, improve his diet to a more varied diet I don't know how to link threads but @Tom has some great list here on the forum. Basically he has a vitamin deficiency but don't do vitamin shots to correct it, correct lighting and diet will help him in time. Probably should increase his humidity too.

Rikki Green

Fort Worth, TX
Also along with what @Toddrickfl1 said, improve his diet to a more varied diet I don't know how to link threads but @Tom has some great list here on the forum. Basically he has a vitamin deficiency but don't do vitamin shots to correct it, correct lighting and diet will help him in time. Probably should increase his humidity too.
Thank you! I will work on all of this and hopefully he gets better soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I will work on all of this and hopefully he gets better soon.
Here is the care sheet Len was talking about. This tortoise needs daily soaks, a much better diet, a suitable large enclosure for outside time (your current little one is not suitable as you noticed, and a large closed chamber indoors.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure size needs to be larger. If he doesn't have enough space to explore and move a lot he won't build up his muscles to hold him up.
Get everything corrected asap and he should be fine.