Where do you get your clear vinyl?

Erik Elvis

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
66482EDD-E49A-46D4-864B-4FF45D80F795.jpeg llsike the title says. Not for door flaps just to create a closed chamber over an open top enclosure.

I looked on amazon. Some say they smell when hot. Preferably sew able to add a couple Velcro areas.

Thanks,
Erik

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
View attachment 220908 llsike the title says. Not for door flaps just to create a closed chamber over an open top enclosure.

I looked on amazon. Some say they smell when hot. Preferably sew able to add a couple Velcro areas.

Thanks,
Erik
I am not at all sure that it would have the heat resistance or fire resistance to be suitable for the top of a tank

Vinyl makes great door flaps for outdoor housing to stop draughts and slow heat escaping, but I wouldn't use it on top.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use clear shower curtain liners. How big is the enclosure?

Attachments

• 20171018_105115.jpg
    20171018_105115.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • 20171018_105120.jpg
    20171018_105120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Yeah that’s the gist of what I want to do for a 4x6.

Do they stink when they get hot?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yeah that’s the gist of what I want to do for a 4x6.

Do they stink when they get hot?
It's not close enough to the bulb to get hot. For 4 x 6 you should just get rolls of plastic sheeting. Check Lowe's or home depot.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
It looks like Lowe’s has 6 mil sheeting rolls. 10x100ft for 59$. I’ll check out the thickness and decide if I want something more like boat window plastic.

Wish me luck I’m going to Lowe’s in a bit to pick up wood for a bigger tort cage.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
It looks like Lowe’s has 6 mil sheeting rolls. 10x100ft for 59$. I’ll check out the thickness and decide if I want something more like boat window plastic.

Wish me luck I’m going to Lowe’s in a bit to pick up wood for a bigger tort cage.
You could also check out fabric stores. You can get it cut to length. Like the kind they make for tablecloths.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I wish I knew where a fabric store is around here. The only one I was aware of went under quite a few years ago.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I made my own light stand, and it supports the plastic cover great. The plastic is nowhere near the lights and is easy to lift up to attend to the inside of the enclosure:

Christmas tree bin aa.jpg

christmas tree bin bb.jpg

This is how I made the light stand:

lights a.jpg

I used a piece of plywood a couple inches longer than the bin I was going to put it under, then a 2x4 screwed vertically onto each end. Then I attached a smaller piece of wood to go across from one 2x4 to the other. I used 2x4s long enough so that my lights would be about 12" from the top of the tortoise's backs.

I buy plastic sheeting by the roll at any hardware store. I use 4mil and I buy 10'x25' because it's easy for me to handle. I use a lot of it because I also use it to wrap the porch for plants and the YFs porch so they can still have more room during the winter.