Where is every one from

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
From Surprise, AZ! Northwest of Phoenix. Great for torts most of the year. Just gotta make sure they have plenty of water!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I'm from Alaska originally but never had torts there. Now I'm in muggy south Carolina which is near perfect for my redfoot. She's mostly kept inside due to us renting and me not being able to build a predator proof enough outside pen. Lots of possums, dogs, cats, raccoons, and fire ants outdoors to deal with. She has an outdoor pen but we're going to build an indoor table for cooler days, or when we're unable to watch her outside, and for overnight to keep her safe from nocturnal predators.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I'm from Phoenix originally.

My parents were the nomadic type, so I lived in various places before ending up in the San Joaquin Valley of Cali as a teenager. I moved to Los Angeles (more specifically Westwood) for college and aside from the occasional seasonal field project, I've been living in SoCal ever since.

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
From slidell la north of new orleans it get cold outside but my tortoise are inside for now and couple of hour out but winter isn't to bad

Avarice29

5 Year Member
I was born and raised in California. I live in downey but more people know los Angeles...

I have 2 desert tortoises.... So cal pretty nice place for torts xD

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
I live in Lakeland, Florida ( right between Tampa and Orlando). I have a 7 yr old sulcata- Willie! He is outside 24/7 has a really pretty shed that he can come and go as he pleases that is heated in our harsh 50 degree winters...

jessrich87

5 Year Member
I'm from north central texas. It's a little warm and unpredictable here, but we make it work. :)

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
I just moved to the Southeast side of Portland Oregon a year ago. But originally from Palm Springs California... I'll be 33 soon, my husband just turned 30. Together 9 years; Married 4, before Prop8 we were Wed. (Yes both Men)

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
I'm from New Orleans. That is where my Sulcata and myself still live! It's very hot and humid here!

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
I'm northern Cali but on the sunny days it's awesome! On the cold days it's "MOM CAN YOU GO GRAB MOUSE OUTSIDE?"

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nebraska!!

I happen to think it is the best place for raising tortoises. Land here is extremely low priced, so plenty of room for large roomy enclosures. We have wonderful soil that grows weeds amazingly well. We have a wide variety of temperatures which includes REAL seasons. With the land, the soil, and the seasons you can let your imagination run free and create some wonderful natural well planted tortoise mini paradises. Crime is not as bad as in many parts of the country, so you can be more open about the animals you have.

Now while some see the few months of cold winter weather as a disadvantage, I find it the opposite. Winter sure it's cold and tortoises need to be brought in.... unless your wanting to hibernate them. Outside in their enclosures actually works really well. The advantages is with winter you get a break from the outside work. It allows you time to actually sit back and think. Winter is for planning next year's enclosure projects. To be on the laptop writing your thoughts to other tortoise folks, while watching your tortoises at closer distances and for not only longer times, but a wider variety of times then you did with them outside. Winter allows you to enjoy an entirely different side to tortoise keeping. It broadens your pleasure by giving you unique challenges of providing as outstanding a job of indoor husbandry as you can. Winter allows you to shift from feeding what you can grow yourself, to the joy of discovering new greens, veggies, and fruits to tempt your shelled ones with.

Nebraska IS the good life!

Status
Not open for further replies.