Where to get Fir/Orchid bark in the UK???

UKTortellini

Location (City and/or State)
Newbiggin-By-The-Sea
Could anyone from the UK who uses Orchid/Fir bark for their tortoise enclosure please tell me where they buy it from?

Most posts I have seen are people saying generic things like "Most garden centres". Every centre I have visited does not sell it. Most of them sold a product called Westland decorative mini bark. The bag on this product and other barks I came across were very vague in terms of what exactly the bark is sourced from. They all say "sourced from sustainable conifer plantations".

But with the needs for tortoise substrate being specific where there are right and wrong products, this vague information is useless. The staff at the garden centres had no idea either.

After searching around on Google I managed to find that the Westland mini bark is made from sitka spruce, but for some reason it does not say it on the bag.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! From older threads I see, that you can get orchid bark from Swell Reptiles store (checked online store - it's in stock). They have branded 20L bags for a sane price (comparing to Reptibark, for example). You may give them a call or visit to check the label (I don't see what it's actually made of) and smell it (should not smell like fresh pine).

And you can try to search in plant nurseries (they aren't the same as garden centers).

I'm in pretty the same situation in Cyprus (small orchid bark bags with additives, smelly pine bark and no cypress mulch at all). I have ended with ordering cypress mulch from Amazon, sigh.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could anyone from the UK who uses Orchid/Fir bark for their tortoise enclosure please tell me where they buy it from?

Most posts I have seen are people saying generic things like "Most garden centres". Every centre I have visited does not sell it. Most of them sold a product called Westland decorative mini bark. The bag on this product and other barks I came across were very vague in terms of what exactly the bark is sourced from. They all say "sourced from sustainable conifer plantations".

But with the needs for tortoise substrate being specific where there are right and wrong products, this vague information is useless. The staff at the garden centres had no idea either.

After searching around on Google I managed to find that the Westland mini bark is made from sitka spruce, but for some reason it does not say it on the bag.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.
ZooMed sells it as "Repti-bark". Can that be found on-line there?

Just for future reference: Fine grade orchid bark = fir bark = Repti-bark.

UKTortellini

Newbiggin-By-The-Sea
Hello! From older threads I see, that you can get orchid bark from Swell Reptiles store (checked online store - it's in stock). They have branded 20L bags for a sane price (comparing to Reptibark, for example). You may give them a call or visit to check the label (I don't see what it's actually made of) and smell it (should not smell like fresh pine).

And you can try to search in plant nurseries (they aren't the same as garden centers).

I'm in pretty the same situation in Cyprus (small orchid bark bags with additives, smelly pine bark and no cypress mulch at all). I have ended with ordering cypress mulch from Amazon, sigh.
Thank you! At last a solution. This looks like it may do the trick.

They also sell the zoo med reptibark but it's double the price of the swell stuff. I think I'll contact customer support to get confirmation of what exactly the bark is sourced from and if all checks out, I'll buy 2 bags of 20l for the price of 1 bag of 26l zoo med reptibark. More substrate for my money and more importantly, deeper substrate for my little burrower :). Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023-223555_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023-223555_Chrome.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 5

UKTortellini

Newbiggin-By-The-Sea
ZooMed sells it as "Repti-bark". Can that be found on-line there?

Just for future reference: Fine grade orchid bark = fir bark = Repti-bark.
Thanks for the clarification Tom, with it being called many different things it was difficult to figure out what was right and what was not. Managed to find the repti bark on swell reptile UK but also found their own brand marketed as fine orchid bark. So going to make some enquiries to check out the exact make up of their branded bark and decide based on their response.

Hoping their brand checks out though as it will mean more substrate for value and more depth for tortoise.

UKTortellini

Newbiggin-By-The-Sea
You can get 60L bags of Habistat orchid bark from Internet Reptile for a decent price when available https://internetreptile.com/products/habistat-orchid-bark-substrate?variant=42476439175416
Wow! That is great value for a 60l bag, I'll keep a tab on that and keep checking for when it's back in stock to get the fine grade. In meantime I'll continue to enquire about the swell branded stuff as its in stock. But my next order will most likely be the habistat big bag if lucky enough to catch it in stock.

Thanks again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for the clarification Tom, with it being called many different things it was difficult to figure out what was right and what was not. Managed to find the repti bark on swell reptile UK but also found their own brand marketed as fine orchid bark. So going to make some enquiries to check out the exact make up of their branded bark and decide based on their response.

Hoping their brand checks out though as it will mean more substrate for value and more depth for tortoise.
As you'll find time and time again....There will be two identical products. But the product with a cartoon turtle on the package costs twice as much.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I use swell course orchid bark for my tort. Good efficienct service, good quality and great delivery. I also use prorep from Amazon.