Which breed would be best in the Pacific Northwest (PDX)?

jwebb418

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, Oregon
Trying to do my research as to which breed would do best up here in Portland, Oregon. I definitely can't go Sulcata big. I'll be keeping the future tortoise in my basement (in winter) which seems to maintain a humidity of 60% on it's own. Also would like one that likes petting.

Last edited:

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi and welcome! I live in Portland too! I have a Russian tortoise, Diego. I haven't had him long so I am no tortoise expert so I won't offer any advice on which species do best here but to say that Diego is healthy and happy here. He also likes to be petted. Especially in the bath or while he's basking. I can tell he's enjoying it when he blinks slower and slower until he is just about asleep and occasionally he'll come over to me looking for some pets while I'm cleaning up in his outdoor enclosure. So I think Russians are pretty great but I really only know one Tortoise :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Tortoises come in species, not breeds. Put a tort table in your house and get a Russian or a Hermanni. Personality and easy keepers. You'll find if they are in the house you pay much more attention to them.