Which do you like better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
If Mr Hill's lack of stock is keeping you from getting the tegu, you may wish to review this thread: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325109

The short synopsis, Mr. Hill had an overseas customer that paid him $1350 for a tegu over a year ago. That customer never received a tegu, received no communications from Mr Hill, and after going to the BOI only received a very small partial refund. That customer has no legal recourse for getting the rest of his refund. A tegu is in my future, and it was going to be a Varnyard tegu until now. There are other tegu breeders out there.

Tortoises are also wonderful, of course, you should get one too.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
chairman said:
The minimum cage for an adult sav is 8'x4'x4'. Your 6'x3'x3' would be a little too small. Also, savs are more of a display animal than a "hands on" pet. If you happen to come across a "dog tame" sav it is sick, cold, or incredibly well target trained.

I agree with this 110%. Just like with tortoises, we have come a long way in figuring out the healthiest ways to properly house and care for savannah monitors. Unfortunately, also like with tortoises, many hobbyists are still behind the bell curve and for whatever reason, still adherent to old-school husbandry practices.

Ethan, I would encourage you (and anyone else who is interested) to check out this website: http://www.savannahmonitor.co/

My friend, Wayne Harvey put it together after his first sav died from the "old school" ways. Among others, Wayne has gotten a lot of his information from Daniel Bennett, a field biologist who has actually observed and studied savannah monitors in their natural habitat.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
StudentoftheReptile said:
chairman said:
The minimum cage for an adult sav is 8'x4'x4'. Your 6'x3'x3' would be a little too small. Also, savs are more of a display animal than a "hands on" pet. If you happen to come across a "dog tame" sav it is sick, cold, or incredibly well target trained.

I agree with this 110%. Just like with tortoises, we have come a long way in figuring out the healthiest ways to properly house and care for savannah monitors. Unfortunately, also like with tortoises, many hobbyists are still behind the bell curve and for whatever reason, still adherent to old-school husbandry practices.

Ethan, I would encourage you (and anyone else who is interested) to check out this website: http://www.savannahmonitor.co/

My friend, Wayne Harvey put it together after his first sav died from the "old school" ways. Among others, Wayne has gotten a lot of his information from Daniel Bennett, a field biologist who has actually observed and studied savannah monitors in their natural habitat.

cool man good info :D

Status
Not open for further replies.