Which enclosure sounds better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
4.3'x38' enclosure where I can plant many many different grasses/weeds/plants that he can graze freely on.
a0b1c6b8bc424a84f35414b360a07f7a.jpg

or

8'x8' enclosure where I can only have grass in it. and then can plant whatever I want for him in a seperate area and will have to pick it to give it to him?
02c9ead8ade0dac03c557fa7b335ab64.jpg

Turbo is only about 140 g. I would love to give him the larger one because It's bigger and I can plant whatever and let him graze, but I worry that it is too narrow and he would pace.
Whatever enclosure I decide, he will only be in there for a little over a year.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
erdavis said:
4.3'x38' enclosure where I can plant many many different grasses/weeds/plants that he can graze freely on.

or

8'x8' enclosure where I can only have grass in it. and then can plant whatever I want for him in a seperate area and will have to pick it to give it to him?

Turbo is only about 140 g. I would love to give him the larger one because It's bigger and I can plant whatever and let him graze, but I worry that it is too narrow and he would pace.

My guys love the plants logs and dirt! They have a shade bush too. I think they love interesting spaces. You can always run him around and watch him. Soooo glad you found him :) !!!

What are your plans after a year or so?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'd say, the bigger the better. BUT you must make sure the sides are MUCH higher. You are looking for a minimum 8 inches to prevent escape. (Does the bigger location get the sun? If not, you may need to rethink)

erdavis

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
I'd say, the bigger the better. BUT you must make sure the sides are MUCH higher. You are looking for a minimum 8 inches to prevent escape. (Does the bigger location get the sun? If not, you may need to rethink)

Hmmm I'm actually not sure how much sun it gets, I'll have to look tomorrow.
I will of course make sure the sides are bigger :)
the bigger area was a garden, so thats why the sides are so low

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would go with the longer area if it gets enough sun. Adding different plants and grasses will be better than the plain 8x8 area.

M

Maggie Cummings

SailingMystic said:
erdavis said:

or

My guys love the plants logs and dirt! They have a shade bush too. I think they love interesting spaces. You can always run him around and watch him. Soooo glad you found him :) !!!

I'm assuming Turbo is a Sulcata and after a year he'll be too big for the enclosure...just guessing tho

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a long area similar to yours 4x16 for my year old leopard. I attached chicken wire to the fence and then the other end to a 2x4 and it lays on an angle to the cement blocks that keeps him in on the grass side. Then when I want to lift it, I pick up the end laying towards the ground/grass side and hook it on a couple nails I nailed onto the fence to hold it up and out of my way. Except for a couple trees I have planted, that I had to work around, it works great. I would go for the long narrow one. A lot more stuff to give him things to do and not get bored.

erdavis

5 Year Member
SailingMystic said:

I live with my parents now(I'm a senior in HS) and I'll be moving out when I get into nursing school. Same city, different house. And don't worry, I'm far too in love with Turbo to not get a yard :)
My bestfriend actually has a sully too and we're going to rent together and split the yard(or MAYBE if it's large enough, let them share it). btw, anyone know how old/big a sully must be to have fertilized eggs? i know that we won't know the sex of mine or my friend's by the time we move, and we want to make sure that whatever we do have, they don't have babies

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I vote both. Connect them and make a little "L" shape. That should give the tortoise the option of more shade or more sun depending on the temps.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tom said:
I vote both. Connect them and make a little "L" shape. That should give the tortoise the option of more shade or more sun depending on the temps.

I agree with Tom, I didn't even think about that when I looked at the photo's.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Tom said:

Hmmm, I didn't think about that either.
Very good idea though! Will have to talk to my father about that one :)

wellington said:
I have a long area similar to yours 4x16 for my year old leopard. I attached chicken wire to the fence and then the other end to a 2x4 and it lays on an angle to the cement blocks that keeps him in on the grass side. Then when I want to lift it, I pick up the end laying towards the ground/grass side and hook it on a couple nails I nailed onto the fence to hold it up and out of my way. Except for a couple trees I have planted, that I had to work around, it works great. I would go for the long narrow one. A lot more stuff to give him things to do and not get bored.

It is a bit hard for me to picture this, do you already have pictures up on a different threads? Tried looking through your previous ones and couldn't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.