Which is better ? poached or raw cabbage ?

basm?

Location (City and/or State)
Egypt
I usually feed my baby tortoise collards , especially cabbage . one day i was out of raw cabbage so i fed him poached cabbage i had in my freezer and somehow he likes it more than raw cabbage now !

but i want to know if its as good as raw cabbage or not . because if not , i may stop feeding him poached cabbage. ..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Raw is better, but as johnsonboswell pointed out, cabbage should not be fed very often or in quantity.

Broadleaf weeds, leaves and flowers are a better way to go.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tortoises are like children, they love to eat things that are not good for them and sometimes don't like food that would benefit them.
Cabbage is not good, there are plenty of other options.

basm?

Egypt
Thanks for responding , everyone .

Well , we don't have dandelion greens around . so i feed him cabbage , broccoli's leaves and clover .

(and according to the website that crimson mentioned . non of them is good for him . =( )

any suggestions ?

Lexiii

CT
I see you're in Egypt. Is there something like Spring Mix available in your grocery stores? That's just a combination of different greens for salads.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Whatever you have growing in your area, check it on the Tortoise table (see link above).
Things like clover are fine as part of a mixed diet.
Other ideas are found on the care sheet for Greek tortoises under the Mediterranean Tortoises section here.