Which kind of Tortoise to buy for first timer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickyrat

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
I'm interested in getting a new family member! I've never had a Tort before, so I'm asking for everyones opinion on the best Tort for a beginner. I want to get everything setup and ready for the new comer.
I live in So. Cal. Currently I have a 15' x 20' secure area that can be set up and designated for the Tort once he/she is old enough to be outside.
(Maybe a much larger area if the Tort and Dog get along. My dog is pretty laid back and doesn't show much interest in other animals). I know I don't want a Sulcata ( Too big). My family is leaning toward Leopards but are interested in any Tort that would be better suited for our area or beginners.

When you give your recommendation on which Tort to get I would appreciate any information on any trusted breeders that you may know of in the So Cal area as well.:)

Everyones opinion is greatly appreciated!!!!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
hello and welcome to tfo!
if a sulcata's size is a concern, a leopard may also be too big. i'd recommend going with a CA desert tortoise (because they're my favorite). there are plenty up for adoption with the California Turtle and Tortoise Club (http://tortoise.org) and they cannot legally be bought or sold... you must adopt one for FREE.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Truckyrat
Welcome to the forum. I only have one tortoise and he is a Hermann. I think it is a really good specie for beginner. He is a bit shy but he is full of personality. I heard the greek tortoises are similar as the Hermanns.
Click on the link below to see the Hermann's caresheet.
Good luck :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-1000.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi trickrat: May we know your name? A Russian tortoise, or for that matter, any of the Mediterranean species, is a good beginner tortoise. They have great personalities and don't get too big; are fairly easy to care for and hibernate during the cold weather.

Whichever kind of tortoise you decide upon, don't let your dog's laid back personality fool you. I've taken in many a chewed up tortoise because "Fido had never shown an interest in the tortoise before."

To relate only one instance: Mildred, a beautiful female California desert tortoise, lived happily in the backyard of an older couple for about 10 years. Then they got a Labrador pup. Mildred and the dog lived in the backyard for about 15 years together with no problem. The couple went on vacation and their grown son came over to watch the house for two weeks. When the couple came home they discovered that the Lab had chewed off Mildred's front leg. So for 15 years there was no problem, then all of a sudden Mildred was a three-legged tortoise!

Welcome to the forum, trickrat! I'm sure you will find the information you are searching for here.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Trickyrat said:
Hi everyone!
I'm interested in getting a new family member! I've never had a Tort before, so I'm asking for everyones opinion on the best Tort for a beginner. I want to get everything setup and ready for the new comer.
I live in So. Cal. Currently I have a 15' x 20' secure area that can be set up and designated for the Tort once he/she is old enough to be outside.
(Maybe a much larger area if the Tort and Dog get along. My dog is pretty laid back and doesn't show much interest in other animals). I know I don't want a Sulcata ( Too big). My family is leaning toward Leopards but are interested in any Tort that would be better suited for our area or beginners.

When you give your recommendation on which Tort to get I would appreciate any information on any trusted breeders that you may know of in the So Cal area as well.:)

Everyones opinion is greatly appreciated!!!!
What ever tortoise you get, please don't allow the dog around a tortoise. Dogs and torts don't mix. Even laid-back friendly dogs end up chewing on tortoises. I used to help my sister at her tort rescue and I have seen more than my share of dog-chewed tortoises...
Welcome to the group...

ruanda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Portugal
A recent "story" in a portuguese forum that you made me remember, but that tortoise died after 2 weeks of suffering!...
Well, I agree that the mediterranean tortoises are one of the best for beginners, so, with proper care, you will be happy with your new tort. Go for it! ;)

Trickyrat

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the opinions!!
I got the message loud and clear about the dog!!! I will keep them seperated. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions once I start to set things up.

Thanks Again,

Rick

eminart

10 Year Member!
Living in So Cal, I think you have a lot of options. From what I've read, any of the mediterranean species would be good candidates. They seem to be fairly easy to care for and are medium-sized. The leopards you mentioned get pretty big.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Welcome
I would love to be in your position...able to adopt a dessert tortoise. I don't live in the right state to be able to. I think they are awesome, they are free, and they need YOU
Good luck
Patsy

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello Trickyrat.
I agree with Josh. I have one adult desert tortoise right now and I simply ADORE him. He is my love and my dog (so-to-speak). He will follow me around the back yard, and goes through an old doggy door we never had removed into the house when we forget to lock it up. They are very personable, and like Josh said, free to adopt.
You won't be able to aquire one until after winter, but that gives you time to read up on information and develop the perfect outdoor setup for him (you have to meet certain expectations to adopt a DT)
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
Living in California is helpful..If you can't adopt a Mohave Desert Tortoise I recommend a Herman or a Greek..Its important if you get a exotic that you get captive born..As a beginner you don't want to deal with unwanted parasites..Also you may want to look up local tortoise clubs in the area and a reptile vet..they can help you find a good breeder...I do think adopting a native will be well worth it..Update us on what you get...

Status
Not open for further replies.