Which light fixture should I use? Dual top or compact top?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
That is the one. The 160 W one should be at least 15 inches above your tortoise. there is also a 100 W one that can be 12 inches away. use a large ceramic abased fixture, 10 or 12 inches wide.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Yes, that is the Zoomed Powersun. They also make the T5ho high output tubes. Over here if you purchase the Zoomed T5ho light fixtures it comes with a tube light. The tubes are 2" shorter with the Zoomed T5ho light fixtures so for example if you purchase a 36" light fixture you would purchase a 34" tube when it's time to replace. The t5ho tubes are recommended to be replaced once a year according to the manufacturer but as Tom mentioned without a UV tester it's hard to say for sure when the tubes/bulb need replaced.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I use the T5 high output 10.0 bulb in a high output fixture. I use the 10.0 because it is 15 inches above my tortoise, the 5.0 might work if you're bulb will be closer to your tortoise. I think for a Russian tortoise either the power son mercury vapor bulb or the high output fluorescent tubes would both work fine. it depends on your enclosure.

D3sirable

That is the one. The 160 W one should be at least 15 inches above your tortoise. there is also a 100 W one that can be 12 inches away. use a large ceramic abased fixture, 10 or 12 inches wide.
Yes, that is the Zoomed Powersun. They also make the T5ho high output tubes. Over here if you purchase the Zoomed T5ho light fixtures it comes with a tube light. The tubes are 2" shorter with the Zoomed T5ho light fixtures so for example if you purchase a 36" light fixture you would purchase a 34" tube when it's time to replace. The t5ho tubes are recommended to be replaced once a year according to the manufacturer but as Tom mentioned without a UV tester it's hard to say for sure when the tubes/bulb need replaced.

I just asked the store near me they said they didn't have this PowerSun but they have Exo Terra Solar Glo, he said it is exactly the same product but different brand, is this true? Should I get this Solar glo?

Picture:

3767.jpg

If it's not as good I will try to get the PowerSun from eBay or elsewhere.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Solar Glo is not the "exact same" bulb, but the concept is similar. It should work just fine for you. Start at the height the manufacturer suggests, but check your basking temp under the bulb and make height adjustments as needed.

D3sirable

That would also work. The wattage depends on how far away from your tortoise it will be.
The Solar Glo is not the "exact same" bulb, but the concept is similar. It should work just fine for you. Start at the height the manufacturer suggests, but check your basking temp under the bulb and make height adjustments as needed.
Great, thanks, I will go buy it ASAP.

Is this Solar Glo the only light I need in my enclosure? No other lights are needed right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great, thanks, I will go buy it ASAP.

Is this Solar Glo the only light I need in my enclosure? No other lights are needed right?

This depends on a few other factors. If its a large enclosure in a dimly lit room, you might want more light over the rest of the enclosure to better simulate daytime. If the room is particularly cold during the day, you may need additional heat in the enclosure. If your night temps are cold, you might need some night heat. Etc... It is possible that this will be the only bulb you need, but it depends on your individual situation.

Can you tell us your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

D3sirable

This depends on a few other factors. If its a large enclosure in a dimly lit room, you might want more light over the rest of the enclosure to better simulate daytime. If the room is particularly cold during the day, you may need additional heat in the enclosure. If your night temps are cold, you might need some night heat. Etc... It is possible that this will be the only bulb you need, but it depends on your individual situation.

Can you tell us your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
Right now I'm using Exo Terra terrarium 36” x 18” x 12” (WxDxH): http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_large.php
I know it's too little, I'm working on getting bigger one.

Basking area about 90F, Warm side 85F, cool side 75F, overnight about 70F.