Which tortoise to get?!

KennyDolly

5 Year Member
Hello,
I have wanted a tortoise all my life. I've had SO many pets. Normal ones like dogs, a cat, hamsters and guinea pigs. Onto exotic fish, saltwater reef tanks, and currently an African Grey, Double Yellow-Headed Amazon, and a Greenwing Macaw. I have finally decided upon purchasing my house to get my long-awaited tortoise. I want a large species, no Russians or Hermann's, but I'm not sure which. I considered Redfoot and the Yellowfoot, but the higher humidity requirement seems like something that may complicate the issue. I REALLY would like a Sulcata, and there's a few ones at my local animal rescue here. Although, I was thinking about the Leopard due to the slightly more manageable size. I can dedicate a double room to the tortoise (wall has been removed) and thus is about 22ft by 14ft. Also, the room has a door that leads directly outside, so I can work on fencing in an area for nice weather grazing. Is there any other species other than the Sulcata and Leopard that grow large and don't need high humidity? I think I can make a large tortoise work, and obviously would be giving a home to a homeless tortoise now. Thanks so much, glad I found this forum!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). All little hatchling tortoises, even the sulcatas and leopards need high humidity to grow healthy and smooth. If you get a larger leopard or sulcata then only a humid hide needs to be provided.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, tortoises should be set up outside. An indoor habitat for inclement weather - ok, but first and foremost, an outdoor habitat. Naturally, if you get a baby, it will need to be indoors until it's big enough to not be carried away by the birds. So, in that vein, I would be looking at what species of tortoise can live outside in your geographical area. But that's just me...

mikeh

5 Year Member

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum. It would help if we knew where in the world you are.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you adopted from the rescue, these would no longer be hatchlings correct? So the humidity issue is not as great. Are you also saying the tortoise could live outside, but come inside as weather dictates? Keep in mind a sulcata can and often does decide to do it's own wall remodeling with some bad results.

Like Tom, I would like to know your location to really give you any idea at all. The reason we say that is take Tom and I. I can have redfoots outside with no real work, because we have a natural high humidity here. Tom on the other hand would have to go to more work and expense to try to raise the humidity for a redfoot outside.

KennyDolly

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!
Thanks for the replies. I live in Rochester New York, USA. so, cold 5 months out of the year. Do you have any tortoise suggestions? The only ones I found in rescues are 1-4 year old Sulcatas, one Leopard. So any others I would have to purchase, not against it, but would love to give a home to a needy tortoise. Like I said, I want a larger tortoise, not one that is smaller than my dog (11 pounds, won't have contact with tortoise) Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you would like to rescue on, I would go for the leopard. They are smaller then the sulcata, but still a good size tortoise when full grown. They will be easier to house inside for the cold months, don't need quite as big of space as a sulcata and they won't dig up your yard or dig a 15 foot burrow either, like a sulcata can. Now, if you have lots of room to house a large sulcata inside for the winter and a very large yard for him to roam,then go for the sulcata. They say they are more personable like a dog, then a leopard.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Terry Allan Hall said:
Tortoises are healthier/happier outside.

Absolutely not true. Tortoises can THRIVE indoors. It requires A LOT more work, but can be and has been done VERY successfully.