White dots on his shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mochii

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

I know I have a thread open regarding Marley but I wanted to address this in a separate thread so it gets attention. I searched the thread for white spots on his shell and found this: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5998.html

I'm pretty sure it's fungus as they say. What I was concerned about was, can Marley use athlete's foot cream even though he's that young? I will make sure he gets it all off so he wont eat it since it's toxic. I just wanted to make sure. How long does it take to go away?

Another thing is, so we can't get his shell wet when we soak him? Or at least wipe him dry before we place him in there?

My speculation is that he started to get it because we kept his shell wet and once he was flipped over on his substrate (who knows for how long). And his shell is pretty soft right now because he's young correct? He's exactly a week old now.

Thanks, I attached pictures. Please excuse the large pictures, I wanted to make sure that you could see dots clearly.

- M&M

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Monica, It may be from Marley struggling while he was on his back. I am not an expert and I am sure Danny, Yvonne, Maggie or other more experienced Keepers will post tomorrow. Marley will be fine until then. At this stage I would not use anything on him. As Marley is only a week old I don’t think it is fungus. Plus fungus usually has a hairy appearance or raised edges. Yes a week old Sullys shell will be somewhat pliable. Are you supplementing his food with calcium now?

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, Marley's food is sprinkled with calcium everyday. I hope it's not fungus. I don't remember seeing those dots on him before but maybe it was there before but I noticed it after I saw that thread? But I dont know. Thanks for answering my question Robyn :) I'll wait until the other help out with my question.

- M&M

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm pretty sure he is too young for a fungus to set in. I think it takes longer then a week. But I also think we need Danny's opinion on this, because I would (in this one case) hate to be wrong and leave a fungus untreated. I am thinking you are just a nervous new Mom.

His shell should be *somewhat* pliable, but not really soft. His carapace should be getting relatively hard now with a somewhat soft plastron. Could I be more vague???:D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm here :D

Going to need to see a picture with the shell dry to tell better whats going on. Though if we wait a week, and it doesn't get any bigger. Than it's most likely not a fungal infection.

Fungus is rarely ever hairy on a tortoise Robyn :p

Danny

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Maggie and Dan :)

Here are more pictures that Dan requested. Marley was taking a nap hehe.

Thanks!

- M&M

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes it does look like a bit of a fungal infection starting. Yes athletes foot cream will do the trick and yes you need to wash it off very well before soaking him/her.
It should clear up very fast. :)

Danny

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Okay job done. Thanks Dan, I put a thin layer of the cream on his shell.

Whew. I'm glad I noticed them. Is it because of the time he flipped on his substrate? Probably huh?

- M&M

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Sigh. I feel like his white stuff has gotten bigger even with the fungi cream. :( how long will it take for it to clear up when you say "very fast" Dan? Maybe I'm just being paranoid. It doesn't seem to hurt him.. but it doesn't seem to go away. Maybe Im not putting enough on?

And when you say wash it off before I soak him, what if he goes into his water bowl on his own? Should i take the bowl out while he's putting those stuff on?

And seeing how it got bigger, it probably is fungal infection huh. :( sad.

I included some pictures as well in case it helps.

THanks.

- M&M

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes you need to take out the water dish while using the cream. :)
I'd apply the cream and leave on until you soaked him. Than wash it off well, soak, than reapply the cream.
That way the cream has a longer chance to work. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.