White flesh

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I was wondering how JoJo would feel about only being able to see from one side again ? I know her vision is poor on the bad side, but she is used now to seeing to some extent from both sides now, and it might affect her walking and so on? You might want to keep a closer watch on her than ever for a bit. Just a thought.
Angie

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
If you DO use something like this be sure it doesn't touch her eyeball.
This is the 1 thing that is holding me up. I am worried with her 4 wheel drive attitude that the "patch" might shift and touch the eye.
I was wondering how JoJo would feel about only being able to see from one side again ? I know her vision is poor on the bad side, but she is used now to seeing to some extent from both sides now, and it might affect her walking and so on? You might want to keep a closer watch on her than ever for a bit. Just a thought.
Angie
We have allowed her to spend a little bit more time in her night box and get used to these changes. When I watch videos of her first days with us you can see that she really favored the good side while walking. She walked sideways sorta, kinda like a crab walk. Once the eye cap came off she slowly started to walk straight. So yes i do wonder about covering the eye and what issues may present themselves.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
This is the 1 thing that is holding me up. I am worried with her 4 wheel drive attitude that the "patch" might shift and touch the eye.

We have allowed her to spend a little bit more time in her night box and get used to these changes. When I watch videos of her first days with us you can see that she really favored the good side while walking. She walked sideways sorta, kinda like a crab walk. Once the eye cap came off she slowly started to walk straight. So yes i do wonder about covering the eye and what issues may present themselves.
Yes, I was sure you would have thought about it - obviously there is no easy answer - perhaps she will be so much more confident now, with her shell fixed, that it wouldn't be a big problem though. She is a little wonder girl !
Angie

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
We hope her story brings hope and an endless amount of educational info. So many torts could have an end to there suffering with the bridge technique used on her Plastron. Her eye will be a learning lesson some may find helpful for years to come.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I had an idea which is probably stupid, but I'll tell you anyway - is there any chance that JoJo could have some sort of clear eye protection, so she could still see a bit in that eye ? I'm thinking especially of a piece of plastic from sunglasses - you can get ones which darken in bright sun - that would protect her from bright light and damage, but stil allow her to see - I've no idea how such a thing could be put on her head, though !
Angie

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
you know, somewhere out there, there is a high school shop class with a 3D printer (do they call it "shop" anymore?) for whom this would be a spectacular project...

Or maybe even a vet school...

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Great ideas.... My concern is this.... If you have ever seen a person that has had to have adhesive on their skin constantly it causes damage. Example: If you had to have a band aid on your wrist all day everyday the skin eventually will start to fail. The skin will start to be irritated, sore and then if continued it will tear. The other issue is .... if debris gets under the "patch" for any amount of time will it just be a terrible irritant and possibly cause more injury to the eye? I'm in agreement with you though it seems some sort of Patch would offer relief.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Great ideas.... My concern is this.... If you have ever seen a person that has had to have adhesive on their skin constantly it causes damage. Example: If you had to have a band aid on your wrist all day everyday the skin eventually will start to fail. The skin will start to be irritated, sore and then if continued it will tear. The other issue is .... if debris gets under the "patch" for any amount of time will it just be a terrible irritant and possibly cause more injury to the eye? I'm in agreement with you though it seems some sort of Patch would offer relief.

Truly an anatomically-appropriate "eye patch" would be an interesting thing to develop. the only problem I would see is if it interfered with fully retracting the head into the shell