White lines on Red-foots head??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Hi, I have 2 Red-footed tortoises and I was wondering hats going on one of my Red-foots has some white lines on her head and I raise the humidity and I soak them hat else should I do please reply need answers!!!!!!

image-1435079947.png

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Oh no, the dreaded white line disease!
Also known as: coloration :).
In all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with him.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Thank you so much RedfootsRule

He also ha quite a big dent in his shell at the top toward his head the middle section does anyone know what that is please reply

abclements

5 Year Member
Mine has the same thing with the dent in the front schute, almost looks like its pinched. I would assume that its just a shell thing and doesnt seem to bug him. But ive also been really curious about that as well

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
That "pinch" in the first vertebral scute is something I see a lot. My one female has a high-domed shell and a "pinch" in that scute, all of her babies come out the same way with the "pinch" even though the father doesn't have it. So its just a trait from the parents.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Will this picture help with dent, I was just looking at it and its NOT a dent its weird so can anyone help make it become his normal shell height if you know what I mean😀🐢

image-3704489992.png

Help please I'm kind of worried!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
REDfoots said:
Will this picture help with dent, I was just looking at it and its NOT a dent its weird so can anyone help make it become his normal shell height if you know what I mean😀🐢

View attachment 38149

Its completely natural. If you look closely at the pic in my avatar, that tort has it to.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Very natural! in all Tortoises and turtles....

Heres a pic of pinches on Eros (Leopard). Hie front scute is pinched and the scutes that run along the bottom also have a "Wrinkle" that runns across several of his scutes. I was told this is from when he was being formed inside the egg.
DSCN0706.jpg

in this recent pic, you can still see the pinch in the front scute (little pucker in the middle of the heart) and the "wrinkle" is still there and part of new growth.
DSCN0484_zps0813ab59.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
As Peter mentioned you have some coloration developing...
and Speaking of “ White” coloration …..here is “ Elvis” with his white eye-lid scales….no longer in my collection ….The King Lives On !
elviscloseup2.jpg

JD~:)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Don't worry we have a dent over here as well

img20130214160318.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
REDfoots said:

View attachment 38149

This from being " curled up" in the egg. Most all hatchlings will show that same "pinch". As the tortoise matures it will smooth out. Some more than others....Same thing with the plastron . You would be surprised at how many of them are hatched like a mini meatball and the bottom is still round. Usually by the first week to 10 days as the yoke sac is absorbed this area will flatten out as well ....Here is a 1 hour out of the egg shot .....
anewk.jpg

anew2.jpg

anew4.jpg

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
N2TORTS said:
REDfoots said:

View attachment 38149

This from being " curled up" in the egg. Most all hatchlings will show that same "pinch". As the tortoise matures it will smooth out. Some more than others....Same thing with the plastron . You would be surprised at how many of them are hatched like a mini meatball and the bottom is still round. Usually by the first week to 10 days as the yoke sac is absorbed this area will flatten out as well ....Here is a 1 hour out of the egg shot .....
anewk.jpg

anew2.jpg

anew4.jpg

I'm not always sure it is just from being curled up. I'm sure it can be, but as I mentioned, one of my females has that "dent" with a higher domed shell then the rest...All of her babies have the same dent. The only one I've kept back (its 1 year now) still has the dent, so I'm thinking its some sort of characteristic of the parents. None of my other females' babies get it, just hers. I always wondered if it had something to do with locality, but I'm never sure :cool:.

Status
Not open for further replies.