White Marks On Orchid Bark - Should I Be Concerned?

Tommy03

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello,

I've noticed there are some white marks on my Russsian tortoise's orchid bark and I'm not sure if I should be concerned? It can look a bit fuzzy, and it seems to be mostly around/under his water dish, although there was also already some in a brand-new bag of bark. The bark isn't wet but damp, & I spot clean food/faeces every day. What do you think it is & how can I stop it? I have removed all the pieces I can see with the marks, but I'm not sure if I should completely replace all the bark in his enclosure?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Bark.jpg
    Bark.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 6

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello,

I've noticed there are some white marks on my Russsian tortoise's orchid bark and I'm not sure if I should be concerned? It can look a bit fuzzy, and it seems to be mostly around/under his water dish, although there was also already some in a brand-new bag of bark. The bark isn't wet but damp, & I spot clean food/faeces every day. What do you think it is & how can I stop it? I have removed all the pieces I can see with the marks, but I'm not sure if I should completely replace all the bark in his enclosure?

Thank you!
It is most likely mold (fungus) which is growing on the bark because it is damp around and under the water dish. It would not concern me if it were my tortoise.

Tommy03

England
It is most likely mold (fungus) which is growing on the bark because it is damp around and under the water dish. It would not concern me if it were my tortoise.
Okay, thank you very much. Should I just continue to remove it as I see it around the water dish, & not worry about it otherwise?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Okay, thank you very much. Should I just continue to remove it as I see it around the water dish, & not worry about it otherwise?
That is up to you. Personally, I probably wouldn't even bother to remove it and waste that much of my bark unless/until it became really overgrown on the bark.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just churn it up so it is out from the water dish and other substrate is in its place. Do this once in a while and the lights/heat will take care of it.