White worm in poop

Opm21

I was giving my torts a bath and I noticed white worms came out. One of them was alive. She doesn't seem to be bothered. She eats, basks under the light and sleeps. I haven't seen her act strange. Please help.

IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0035.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Take the worm and a stool sample to a local reptile vet. You will need the correct worming medication in the correct dose. Different meds for different worms.

Don't let the vet give your tortoise any "vitamin injections".

Opm21

Take the worm and a stool sample to a local reptile vet. You will need the correct worming medication in the correct dose. Different meds for different worms.

I saw another forum and it said about Panacur. I have an eastern hermanns tortoise. The vets around me are close today ;(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I saw another forum and it said about Panacur. I have an eastern hermanns tortoise. The vets around me are close today ;(
I do not recommend trying to self diagnose, or medicate with out the advice of a qualified reptile vet. Panacur works for some worms, but not others. You need the correct medicine for the species of worm you have, and you need the correct dose for your individual tortoise.

There is no rush. You can go to the vet at a convenient time in the next week or two. Your tortoise is not in immediate danger from this.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I 100% agree.
You need to dose by the type of parasite and weight of your tortoise.
Better to wait a few days than poison your tortoise or make the parasite resistant to treatment.
A parasitic infestation won't kill an otherwise healthy tortoise quickly. So don't worry. Just get treatment started soon.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is a roundworm. Has your tortoise had access to and possibly eaten snails? Roundworms have an indirect lifecycle and are contracted by eating an intermediate host like snails, frogs, etc. Pretty much the only parasite large enough to be seen easily by the naked eye. Most all parasitic worms are treated by Panacur, but as said in the other posts, please be sure to get the proper dosing from a vet. No need for immediate alarm, but should treat soon.

Deee

Nigeria

Hi Tom, I noticed up to 15 tiny white worms in Frankie’s poop today. Most were dead but about 2 or 3 were alive. The biggest was no more than half an inch long. Because there were so many and she has been a bit lethargic the last few days, I asked the vet to come see her. After his evaluation, he decided to administer panacur orally and two injections (vitamin shot and antibiotics).

After reading your post, I’m now a bit concerned as I assumed vitamins would be harmless. Please educate me, what’s wrong with vitamin injections? She took the meds 4hrs ago. I have not noticed any unusual effects thus far.

Frankie’s 4-5months old and has been eating normally despite the worm infestation.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises typically react very badly to vitamin shots. Excess vitamin A in particular causes horrendous skin problems.

Keep a close eye on your tortoise. And find another vet - one that actually knows about tortoises!

Deee

Nigeria
Tortoises typically react very badly to vitamin shots. Excess vitamin A in particular causes horrendous skin problems.

Keep a close eye on your tortoise. And find another vet - one that actually knows about tortoises!

Thanks JoesMum. I queried the vet further and he said that he gave a vitamin B complex shot not a multi-vit so no Vitamin A, D or E.