Why a greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I'm trying to decide between a Greek and a Russian. Other than appearance what else might shape the decision?
Dave

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Do you plan to get an adult tortoise or a baby?

I have both a Greek and 4 Russians - and their care is virtually identical. Their behavior differs a little, but this may just be the difference from one individual to another. Greeks tend to be able to hide further inside their shell, so if you ever have to administer medication or trim a beak, this is a little more difficult. There is also more published literature 'out there' about Russians... but since their care requirements are so similar, this doesn't make a huge difference.

Greeks are a little less forgiving concerning diet, and are more likely to show pyramiding.

Russians are easier (and cheaper) to come by, if you are looking for an adult. Babies all cost around the same amount.

Feel free to ask specific questions - I have both species, and am happy to help... and I bet others on here will as well.

GotTort said:
I'm trying to decide between a Greek and a Russian. Other than appearance what else might shape the decision?
Dave

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Thanks. That reinforces what I was thinking. I was leaning torwards russian, just wanted to check other small Mediterranean torts. I wasn't thinking about getting a baby; juvenile or adult.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
We got our first torti about 3 weeks ago and got a GREEK. He's VERY personable and entertaining to watch. We can scratch his lil head and under his chin and he comes right up to the door of the tank when we have food for him. He stomps around his tank like Big Foot re arranging everything after I make it all pretty in there. lol O and he eats a lot. Oink, oink.

Status
Not open for further replies.