Why are these Hermanns different looking?

Treetops

Location (City and/or State)
Co Antrim
Hi there,

I am the excited new owner of these lovely torts. I have researched the markings and as far as I can tell, they are both Eastern Hermanns (I get them next week so can't check their plastrons) but I would be really grateful if someone could explain why the very noticeable difference in their colour and markings.

Many thanks in advance,

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 10.45.00.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know why, but there are many variations of tortoise color within the same species.
As for these two, they can not be kept in a pair in the same enclosure inside or outside. Tortoise should never be kept in pairs.

Treetops

Co Antrim
I don't know why, but there are many variations of tortoise color within the same species.
As for these two, they can not be kept in a pair in the same enclosure inside or outside. Tortoise should never be kept in pairs.
Thank you Wellington. My thoughts exactly, also because they are male and female. They have been together one year from a pet shop, have been hibernated and even laid an egg that got crushed. My sister is taking one of them to her home.

So to clarify, they are both Eastern Hermanns, and neither is a hybrid. Is that correct?

Many thanks for taking the time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read this. Has pictures to compare.
I'm not sure who would be the best to ID except the person that wrote the link I posted below and I'm not sure he comes on here anymore.

Treetops

Co Antrim
Read this. Has pictures to compare.
I'm not sure who would be the best to ID except the person that wrote the link I posted below and I'm not sure he comes on here anymore.
This is a great resource. So much useful information. Thank you again for taking the time to help. You can rest assured that both my sister and I will be doing our very best for out tortoises.