Why do people think this is ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
2014 Rescues #33-36 a.jpg 2014 Rescues #33-36 b.jpg 2014 Rescues #33-36 c.jpg 2014 Rescues #33-36 d.jpg 2014 Rescues #33-36 e.jpg

I received a phone call a few days ago. This gal's son had gone off to college, been gone for 6 months and the mom doesn't want to take care of the turtles anymore. So I took them.

It looks to be maybe a 20 gallon aquarium with a screen top. She said they had a light, but she didn't bring it so I don't know what kind it was. Besides the canned food you see in the picture, she gave them some lettuce occasionally. It looks like the kid got the three 3-toe box turtles when they were babies, then got the male ornata as a full grown turtle. The babies all have curly toe nails and overgrown beaks along with bumpy, slightly deformed shells.

Really? A 20 gallon aquarium for 4 turtles?

I'm hoping to be able to find a home for them where they can live outside, but still get special attention. It has been my experience that turtles in this condition don't convert to being outside turtles unless they have someone to find them every day and make sure they eat.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
That is so sad. Anything from outside needs to stay outside!! I only bring my torts inside in the garage with lights if it goes below 60!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's sad. Makes me always wonder when the owners look at the turtles and tiny aquarium if they even think. "Hmmm is that too small for them?". Glad you got them Yvonne.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
Ugh, heartbreaking! Glad they're in better hands! If you want to ship any let me know as I could give females a good home outdoors with lots of TLC.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Wow that makes me mad ! Thank you for rescuing those box turtles they are one of my favorite species , I don't understand why would someone keep 4 turtles in such a small enclosure

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Where's the water? :(

So many things wrong with this. Those turtles are just gonna loooooove you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't answer your question Yvonne, but I often ponder that concept...

We all just have to keep trying to get the word out.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
For too long people have settled with mediocre care for their animals being acceptable. Pet stores always selling them too small tanks, the wrong substrate, lighting, food etc. They want SALES and this has gone on for too long. So this is what people see as ok. Its going to be a long and hard road, but I am very glad they have been rescued.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I sincerely hope this was done out of ignorance, and not malice,or apathy. The main problem I see is, they can't really complain ( no meow or bark, or moo, or oink, you get th idea) So they figure everything is ok, not exscusing this, just trying to offer an explanation.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I don't know but that collage boy wasn't born 18 years old and mom has been taking care of them for 6months with ( now we have computers ) no info. I wonder if that's how she raised their son . ( good grades and no common sence !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Ignorance is it's own apathy in the world we live in. A little critical thinking and a few mouse clicks can get you literally whatever information you want. There is no excuse. Sorry, I'm in a foul mood a friend just adopted and is nursing back to health the sweetest little baby Pitt bull you've ever seen. The shelter she was visiting was about to euthanize it on it's first day in just because it's a Pitt. I can't handle the ignorance of the world tonight.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I don't know but that collage boy wasn't born 18 years old and mom has been taking care of them for 6months with ( now we have computers ) no info. I wonder if that's how she raised their son . ( good grades and no common sence !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
Probably not an issue with ignorance but indifference. She just isn't into turtles so didn't bother to do the research. Those little guys were already being mistreated and she probably just kept doing things the way her kid had been doing them. They don't look too bad and boxies can bounce back pretty fast. I took in one that was in horrible shape, flat shell, curled toes and horrid beak. He turned around in less than three months. Beak and nails perfect and shell gettin there!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I trimmed their nails and beaks and made sure they all knew what 'real' food was, and the 3 three-toe were adopted out yesterday. I'm pretty sure the ornata is going to a new home this week too.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Well, I trimmed their nails and beaks and made sure they all knew what 'real' food was, and the 3 three-toe were adopted out yesterday. I'm pretty sure the ornata is going to a new home this week too.

1028762jld543t69m.gif
I wish I was closer to you Yvonne. Almost my entire adult bale is made up of rescues with one or more challenges. In fact, the only one that is not a rescue with issues is Lyle who I adopted from @Elohi and he is now King of the garden. I get a little choked up when we put a new rescue in the main population. They always look back at you with an "Are you sure this is for me?" look on their faces.