Why do tortoises walk the perimeter?

Renee_H

Location (City and/or State)
Glendora, Ca
I’ve noticed when my tortoise is out wandering she spends most of her day walking along the boundaries vs throughout the enclosure. She’s worn paths in the grassy areas too by doing this. I am aware this isn’t uncommon and I guess it doesn’t matter why they do it. But does anyone have any theories about it? Her Enclosure is an L. 50’ on the furthest wall, 14’ across, 40’ back up, 14’ to the left and another 10’ up the the final wall which is like 28’. She just walks the line around and around occasionally turning midway and walking the opposite direction. In the middle is various plants, rocks, visual barriers etc. but around and around and up and back she goes. 🤔
Not to scale visual for those that didn’t follow my estimated distance/pattern
image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That makes sense. I kinda feel bad when I watch her like she’s just hoping eventually that next wall won’t be there and she can just keep going.
Can she see thru it? They will still walk perimeter but lot less stressful if they can't see the other side of the fence.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
Can she see thru it? They will still walk perimeter but lot less stressful if they can't see the other side of the fence.
At some points. The bottom board has a top board that makes a T so she never walks toward it nor does it seem she’s looking that way. I have additional boards I can add but haven’t because it hasn’t seemed to be an issue. Hmmm. This was the first photo I could find that shows the bottom of the fence. Maybe I’ll go ahead and add the extra board. She doesn’t seem stressed, just hopeful 😂. I was just curious. I’d like to see her using more of her space. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Is it an open space or do you have site barriers? Sometimes that helps them think the space is larger than it is.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have leopards and they roam a path they have each made, they are in their own enclosures. They start where their door is, go to one of the fence lines, walks that then crosses over to the other side fence walk that and then back over again. The one uses most of his enclosure, the other leaves about a 1/3 of his untouched. Each enclosure has shade from a shared tree and lots of tall grass, weeds, etc. They still stay within their path and will reach over to the patches of weeds and grass they don't walk in to eat but they still always travel their same paths. I wish the one would use the other 1/3 but their tree is at the start of the 1/3 and he goes as far as the tree. I don't know what we could do to get them to use all of it. I tried hides at the end and even a water hole, but he still stops at the tree.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
I dont know if anyone will ever know the answer besides the tort. I like to think guarding his territory ( just coz thats bad a$$)

COmtnLady

Colorado
I could see them navigating by magnetic or solar or smell cues in the wild, and we idiot humans put walls in the way of that so they cruise along the wall looking for and opening that will let them go the direction their spidey-sense says to... only the walls bring them back to the beginning every time.

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
I could see them navigating by magnetic or solar or sell cues in the wild, and we idiot humans put walls in the way of that so they cruise along the wall looking for and opening that will let them go the direction their spidey-sense says to.
I knew it! She hates me and she’s trying to leave me! HMPH. lol jk. That’s certainly what it feels like. She just keeps going hoping eventually she’ll find an opening in the maze. Until she gives up and goes back under her fern and stews over the fact that she’s stuck with me mwahahahaha! That is unless I show up with a treat of romaine (her fav) then she will deviate from the magnetic pull and come charging to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

COmtnLady

Colorado
I knew it! She hates me and she’s trying to leave me! HMPH. lol jk. That’s certainly what it feels like. She just keeps going hoping eventually she’ll find an opening in the maze. Until she gives up and goes back under her fern and stews over the fact that she’s stuck with me mwahahahaha! That is unless I show up with a treat of romaine (her fav) then she will deviate from the magnetic pull and come charging to me.

She's gorgeous!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the wild leopards don't seem to have well defined territories and will walk all over the place. They seems to wander and sleep in different places. Some species never walk more than a couple hundred yards from where they hatched. These species that don't go far seem to be more "upset" by a change of location, where leopards don't seem too bothered when moved by comparison.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
lol her grumpy little face🤣she’s a beauty!!