Why are my sulcata tortoises growing so slow???

DTNGUYEN0707

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I have 4 sulcata tortoises. Each of them seem to be growing at a much slower rate than I have read of other sulcata tortoises. I purchased my oldest one during September of 2021, and as of today, it only weighs 1.118 lbs. It is also about the size of my hand, or a little bit bigger than a baseball. Month by month, I either measure no increase in weight or circumference, or a slight increase by 0.1 lbs or cm. This is the same for my 2 year old, 6 month old, and 4 month old. I have done a lot of research regarding generally caring for a sulcata tortoise, and to the best of my ability, have been following these guidelines.

My general routine would be taking them outside in the mornings to my front yard where they have access to grass all day. Near the evening, I would take them back inside to a closed chamber enclosure. My humidity levels are around 60-80, and my temperatures read around 88 degrees F. The diet I provide for them is grass, weeds, romaine lettuce, pricky pear cactus, mustard greens, and hibiscus leaves. Assuming that they consumed a good amount of grass for the day, I would feed them about a handful of food at night. I soak my sulcata tortoises about once every 2-3 days. I do not choose to have a UV bulb in my sulcata enclosure because I have them outside for the entire day already.

Can I please get some advice or critiques as to what I might be doing wrong? Are they not eating enough grass or weeds? I know for a fact that a 3 year old tortoise should not be weighing only 1 lb.

*I admit starting my oldest 1 lb tortoise with poor conditions. I had very dry humidity and only fed them romaine lettuce. As a result, it pyramided. Upon learning more about how to care for tortoises, I tried to improve my routine with my other three, and have managed to fix the pyramiding problem, but have not figured out why they do not grow as fast as they should be.

Last edited:

DTNGUYEN0707

Houston
I just read that the problem might be because I am keeping them outside for too long. If this is the case, have I already stunted their growth spur? Can I bring their growth rate back to normal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 4 sulcata tortoises. Each of them seem to be growing at a much slower rate than I have read of other sulcata tortoises. I purchased my oldest one during September of 2021, and as of today, it only weighs 1.118 lbs. It is also about the size of my hand, or a little bit bigger than a baseball. Month by month, I either measure no increase in weight or circumference, or a slight increase by 0.1 lbs or cm. I have done a lot of research regarding generally caring for a sulcata tortoise, and to the best of my ability, have been following these guidelines.

My general routine would be taking them outside in the mornings to my front yard where they have access to grass all day. Near the evening, I would take them back inside to a closed chamber enclosure. My humidity levels are around 60-80, and my temperatures read around 88 degrees F. The diet I provide for them is grass, weeds, romaine lettuce, pricky pear cactus, mustard greens, and hibiscus leaves. Assuming that they consumed a good amount of grass for the day, I would feed them about a handful of food at night. I soak my sulcata tortoises about once every 2-3 days. I do not choose to have a UV bulb in my sulcata enclosure because I have them outside for the entire day already.

Can I please get some advice or critics as to what I might be doing wrong? Are they not eating enough grass or weeds? I know for a fact that a 3 year old tortoise should not be weighing only 1 lb.
They need to live indoors in a large closed humid chamber most of the time until they reach at least 8-10 inches. Only then should they be outside all day.

Humidity needs to be over 80% all day and night for a growing baby. 60% is too low.

88 is fine as an ambient temperature, but they still need a basking area that is around 100 directly under the bulb.

What is the over night low temp?

Depending on the weeds, I don't see any protein in their diet. How about some clover, alfalfa, legumes, plantain weed, Mazuri, etc...

Babies should be soaked every day.

All of the above will slow their growth. I've done side by side growth experiments with clutch mate hatchings. A randomly selected half dozen were housed outside all day like yours. Another randomly selected half dozen stayed mostly indoors. Both groups were soaked daily and slept in the same large closed chamber with a divider in the middle, and fed the same amount of the same food from the same bucket. The only variable was the amount of time spent outside. After six months, the indoor group was much smoother and literally three times the size of the outdoor group.

Now let me guess... You did your research on YT? Kamp Kenan maybe? Now you know why we say that is not good advice. Here is the current and correct care advice:

More here:

Please feel free to question any of this. I'm happy to explain further and back up any of these assertions.

DTNGUYEN0707

Houston
Yes, unfortunately Kamp Kenan was one of the first people I followed on YT. My over night low temp is around the low 70s.

Thank you so much for your help. I will make changes accordingly. Given that I do improve their conditions, is it too late to see fast growth from now on? Or did I stunt their growth spur?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, unfortunately Kamp Kenan was one of the first people I followed on YT. My over night low temp is around the low 70s.

Thank you so much for your help. I will make changes accordingly. Given that I do improve their conditions, is it too late to see fast growth from now on? Or did I stunt their growth spur?
The night time low for sulcatas should not drop below 80. 70s is too low, this is another factor that will greatly slow their growth.

I know you are bummed, but at least you know what is happening. You found and followed the wrong care advice. I'm sorry about that. It happens to a lot of people.

There is no way to predict what damage has been done, but most of the time, they will grow normally once conditions are corrected. The way you've been housing and caring for them certainly isn't optimal, as you can see from the results, but it is also not catastrophically bad either. They've been eating a good diet. They aren't well hydrated, but they aren't terribly dehydrated either. All that UV every day will have prevented MBD from ever happening. Start keeping them indoors in a large warm humid closed chamber and start soaking daily, and I would expect "normal" growth to resume. Only time will tell for sure.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello! Just thought I’d add this thread if you’d like some visual examples on a closed chamber set up for them that will hopefully maintain the 80+ humidity you’re needing, I include some at the bottom🙂