Why do we not feed our Torts Banana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I've seen a lot of people say keep banana feeding to a minimum, but I haven't seen a concrete reason as to why. I've heard they're like crack to torts, and I've heard they cause the runs... could anyone clarify?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I think that's mostly aimed toward the grassland torts...I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with giving them to the forest dwellers...redfoots, etc.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There is the concern that once they get the banana they will forgo the healthier foods and wait for the banana...therefor they become picky.....

I however do give the little RFs banana about once or twice a week....and it is on the yummy treat list during summer months for the CDTs as that is the time of year their water intake increases as well.....the RESs? never thought about giving them any ...LOL

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
austinl01 said:
It makes them more hyper than a newborn on Mountain Dew!

And you know this how?? :D

ascott said:
There is the concern that once they get the banana they will forgo the healthier foods and wait for the banana...therefor they become picky.....
This has been my experience with the Hingebacks especially, since so many folks find that is a well loved food and easier to get them back to eating if you use it. An occasional treat will not hurt. Fact is as I recall, bananas do have some food value.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Bananas are a potassium rich food. I use it a few days every other week or so and I have had no problems with them getting "addicted" to it as people have stated. Redfoots do love bananas, but you must remember that the best diet is a varied one so dont rely on bananas as an everyday feeding food.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I give my Cherries bananas - maybe once a week. It's never caused a problem. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Exactly, moderation is key. One thing everyone has to understand - a lot of times advice given to those new to the tortoise world is different than what advice is given to those with some experience. To a new keeper I say no banana. To someone that has learned the value of moderation and understands that the diet needs to be varied, a little banana is okay.

Reactions: GSM

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I offered my Cherries a banana and they took a couple of bites and went for the other foods offered. So, I guess in moderation they would be ok. They are high in Vitamin A as well. So seems like a natural good food to feed, but just not everyday.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I feed banana every now and again.
I think it is because they get addicted to it like crack!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Bananas are fine, in moderation. High in potassium, and you should leave at least some of the skin on for even more benefits!

The big downside is sugar content- the same with grapes. Even humans on a diet are often advised to minimize (but not cut out) bananas. high sugar and water, low fiber often causes loose stools and will do so even in Red-foots if you overdo it.

Combine the sugar with the usually low price, and it can be really easy to over do this otherwise very useful fruit!

(By the way, a lot of this applies to tomatoes as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.