5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
36365545.jpg
[/img] tape was over the holes!

9b9feead.jpg
[/img]

fff281c1.jpg
[/img] this came from new york to ct. a replacement for poor momo. this guy claims hes a recuer!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It's not the shipping it's the shipper if done right every thing should be alright some people just do not take the time to package the right way

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I could be cruel and say, "Looks like he needs to be rescued from poor spelling" and I myself, am a poor speller. So no padding or anything in the box?
Perhaps, you might want to nicely share some ideas and helpful hints for his next shipping? The tortoise did arrive safe and sound any how right?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Ive... bought numerous things online to CT since I used to live there and they came from all over the place, got fishes from Thailand... and other things... if the shipper packs things right, insulation, heat/cold pads then it's all fine... never had an incident where the animal is dead or things are broken.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree with Corey and Mao. I've shipped hundreds of tortoises over several years, never with a problem or a loss of life. I've also received many, all of which arrived safely and were correctly packaged. Yours obviously were not shipped that way. But it also should not be assumed that someone is going to take the care and effort to ship right. Find out ahead of time how they intend to ship your animals to you and if you don't like what they're telling you, tell them how you want it done. The buyer is paying for the service, not the shipper.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I forgot to ask.. is the tortoise doing ok though? :(
I have one coming today... and it's suppose to be here by 12 and its now 12:16... grr :(

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh Momo, that's terrible. I heard from someone last year say they had six leopard hatchlings sent to them and they came in a plastic bag...all died. I ALWAYS buy my boxes all ready to go. Yes, they are more expensive but well-made and offer peace of mind. I also pack mine very well and tightly. I have never lost one and these are living creatures. How can you have common sense and think if they put a reptile in a deli cup and throw it into a cheap, used cardboard box that there won't be any tossing and turning...stress, etc. Also, I am not sure how you paid but I would file a claim if you could. All mail carriers require that live animals are shipped properly, one being with a three-tier protection which is the box (the cardboard box is even specific and should be used like that one), insulated foam, and a deli cup. I don't know if that person is a regular with shipping (like he/she has hatchlings and mails out periodically), but he/she shouldn't be allowed until they can ship properly. Shipping can be very safe for them and create a lot less stress if you pack properly.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have never had a tort shipped and have wondered how they are properly packed. It would be nice if someone would post a picture of good packaging :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
That is someone who didn't know what they were doing, sorry you have experienced that, wow I have never seen that before. Hope the tort is okay..

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Jacqui said:
I could be cruel and say, "Looks like he needs to be rescued from poor spelling" and I myself, am a poor speller.

Please explain.

--------------------------------

To the OP, I hope your tortoise is okay.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Angi said:
I have never had a tort shipped and have wondered how they are properly packed. It would be nice if someone would post a picture of good packaging :)

Not to hijack the thread but to answer your question. I would say this is good packaging and I just received my tort about 15 minutes ago hehe.

I kinda tore it open due to the excitement but you get the idea kinda. The deli cup is packed with paper towels or newspaper material and packed inside the insulated box with lots of material around it, in this case shredded paper. Holes on the deli cup and box. On the outside of the box it has arrows pointing up (Not that it helps) and says perishable or live animal.Packing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Angi said:
It would be nice if someone would post a picture of good packaging :)
Like Gary stated, shipping can be done in a manner to ensure the best possible outcome. It does take some effort. In addition to packing, both the shipper and the receiver needs to be acutely aware of the weather in all areas of travel. Here is how I pack tortoises and have had no issues at all!

For most tortoises, cooler is better than hotter in the box, if you have to choose one evil. Always ship overnight. Don't ship out on Thursday or Friday or during busy holidays in case of a delay (many shipping companies are closed over the weekend and a delayed animal may have to wait in poor conditions until Monday).

1. Use an insulated box, regardless of the time of year or temperatures. This will protect the animal from extreme temperature changes during travel. It also adds stability to the box to prevent crushing or damage. Secure the heat or cold pack on the opposite of the animal.
ShipTort1.jpg

2. Place shredded paper inside the insulated box. It acts as a great insulator as well.
ShipTort2.jpg

3. Place your tortoise in a deli cup (GladWare containers work well and are available in almost any store). Poke breathing holes in the sides, top and bottom of the cup. Surround the tortoise with either paper towel or sphagnum moss, I now prefer sphanum moss. Keep in mind, this box may travel on the side, or upside during transit. Cushion the tortoise so it won't get bounced around, but don't pack it so tight it cannot get air circulation for breathing.
ShipTort3.jpg

4. Close deli cup lid. Place more shredded paper on top if needed so deli cup does not get bounced around in the box.
ShipTort4.jpg

5. Place insulated top back before sealing box.
ShipTort5.jpg

6. You may put a notice on the side of the box as a reminder to the shipping handlers of the precious cargo.
ShipTort6.jpg

7. Watch your tracking information and know where the animals is during transit. Be certain someone is at the arrival address to receive the animal once it is delivered. I also now advocate for holding the package at destination faciltiy for pick up. This elimanates the tortoise from riding around on the truck for hours. It is hard enough to account for overnight lows, it certaily adds more difficulty if you have to take into consideration the morning/noon temps at the destination city.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, my pancakes are fine ,had only replacement tort. shipped. who cares about my spelling , you know what i was saying! i also agree its the shiper.this was over a year ago. when i am ready for another tort. i would speak to some one like tim/ robin. i trust them.no cb. pancakes at the new york reptile shows, i wouldnt waste my time or money! lindy

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Not the shipping... it's the idiot shipper in this case! Wow... that is terrible. I am lucky to have never received anything like that. I would be sure to make sure everyone knew who this person was.

Tim/Robin - Great tutorial. That's how it should be by all standards!

No excuses for animal abuse! Period!

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
momo said:
hi, my pancakes are fine ,had only replacement tort. shipped. who cares about my spelling , you know what i was saying! i also agree its the shiper.this was over a year ago. when i am ready for another tort. i would speak to some one like tim/ robin. i trust them.no cb. pancakes at the new york reptile shows, i wouldnt waste my time or money! lindy

Well I'm glad to hear they are ok!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, the reason i did not put the guys name is i feel i was stupid for trusting this guy. i was a dummy. i know better now, thank god! i will say he lives in ny & claims he a rescuer! he sells at reptile show in ny. my vet hates the guy, and wrote him a letter, that how i got another sick cake. both my pancake are happy now , but learned the hard way. lindy

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
So far we have never shipped any of our tortoises. I would prefer not to.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
ALDABRAMAN said:
So far we have never shipped any of our tortoises. I would prefer not to.

ME TOO! BUT TIM/ROBIN DID MAKE IT LOOK MUCH SAFER. I GUESS I WORRY TO MUCH. 'LOL' LINDY

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Idiot Sellers, But Its Great Your Tortoise is Okay :)

Status
Not open for further replies.