why is my tortoise not eating?? Urgen help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
dcoolguy68, If I am not mistaken you are in So. CA correct. If you are puting your little one outside are you placing him on the ground? I live in the Inland Empire and it was 80 here yesterday. But when I took my shoes off and placed my feet on the ground, about noon, it was really pretty cold (FYI). I do take my hatchlings out but they are in a plastic bin and placed above the ground on a table.
You can soak him daily. I'd Use the bird vit. every day to every other day if he is not eating anything. If you have the liquid calcium ask your vet how to get it into him. There is no easy fix. Some people use a few drops of bird vits, some use baby food diluted with water. I would not suggest V8 juice (though I have never used it) even the no sodium contains a lot of Celery and tomato and Tomato does have sugars (but thats just me). If your little one isn't feeling well and not eating there is a reason. Look at his habitat again. have you tried raising his temp about 5 degrees. Sometimes that seems to help. How is the humidity in his habitat? Check everything, then check it again. How high is your lighting? What is your lighting? I thought that my humity guage was working fine then I discovered it wasn't it read 50% when it was actually 2%. I had one that was off his feed because of a RI and on baytril. After a few days I raised his temp about 5 degrees and he slowly began eating again. Like I said, no easy fix. Each tort is different and you just have to keep trying.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
they're on grass when I take them outside and they love it. I've told my vet everything about his home and his feeding and she said everything was good, the substrate has a good amount of moisture the only dry area is the area being hit by the light. His temps are at 100-115(depending on how close the light is), he has a reptisun 10.0(long tube), his substrate is sand and eco earth.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
that's what its at right now, my vet told me not to pass 100 so i raised the lamp a little higher so it stays at 100 even. I have another baby sulcata aside from the sick one and he's actually eating a lot, its just the other one that gives me a problem. It used to like 15-20 degress hotter when he(Bowser) used to eat but I changed the light bulb so that the smaller one(Michaelangelo) doesn't get dehydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.