Why Mazuri ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maumelle Arkansas
Hello,
I read through the forum pretty much daily and I had kept seeing several offering the food Mazuri.
I just want to know the benefits of the product?? I had actually purchased a bag but didn't like the look, smell or protein level in it.
I have read on several different forums, and sites not to feed protein based foods. So why Mazuri?
Right now the only thing my tort is offered is clover, Bermuda, a hay blend, dandelions, and other various weeds and grasses.
I want my young one to get everything he needs, so if I do need to feed this product to my tort please chime in and let me know..
Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many people have asked this question. A quick search should reveal about a hundred threads discussing it.

To summarize:
1. Protein is not the enemy. It does not cause pyramiding. All tortoises NEED some protein. Many tortoises will eat carrion or bugs in the wild. Sulcatas are one of these. The protein level in Mazuri is lower than some plants. I'd have to look it up, but I'll bet the clover you feed has about the same protein level as Mazuri.

2. The ingredients list for Mazuri impresses no one. The results from feeding it are impressive to everyone. Many tortoise professionals feed and recommend it. I used to recommend against any sort of "fake" food, but I tried some Mazuri because several people that I respected as tortoise keepers recommended it. I'm happy I did because its good stuff. I feed it once or twice a week. I think of it like a supplement to a good diet, not a substitute for one.

In short: Do they need it? No. Is it good for them? Yes.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Yes, it looks and smells like dog food but torts love it! Good thing too, because it's probably the most healthy tortoise food around other than wild plants and stuff.

brandhllg

5 Year Member
Maumelle Arkansas
Another question I have for everyone is, my tort is about 13 months old and I chose the african spurred bc of the demeanor (not as shy) I'm not expecting a dog and I'm not remotely trying to make a comparison however my young one has a zero tolerance when being handled and has a really bad habit of anytime to pick him up to soak or to clean his enclosure or just to try to socialize him, well he quickly how do I put this uses you as a potty. I have read that why the tort is young they really don't enjoy rubbing or really much to no contact.. Am I doing the right thing by letting him do his own thing and really the only time I really handle is during the soaks and feeding time or am I raising what will one day become an unsociable 100 pound don't touch or look at me tort. I love him and don't care either way, but would like some insight on this subject.

Urtle

5 Year Member
I think the older/bigger they grow they become more aware and comfortable in their surroundings. I have been raising my young one similar to yours and I am noticing the comfort level gradually increasing. Also, the amount of contact you are having with yours sounds like more than enough there really is no need to handle them much i think.

knechtion53

5 Year Member
SF East Bay Area
I have 2 Sulcatas, one is 13 and the other is almost 3. My 13 yr old, Elvis is quite social and has been for many years now but it is only recently that my younger tort, Ziggy2 has become quite social as well.
Elvis lives outside and comes running when he hears voices. Of course he associates our presence with food but he also loves his shell, neck and the top of his head rubbed. He is also curious to see what we are doing and wants to be right underfoot whenever his enclosure is being cleaned and he likes to be right in the mix when my grandkids are playing outside.
Ziggy2 is inside at night and is outside during the day. When in his outside enclosure he now responds as Elvis does by coming to see whoever is nearby. He doesn't do this when in his inside enclosure for the most part so perhaps the outside freedom is a key factor.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
brandhllg said:
Another question I have for everyone is, my tort is about 13 months old and I chose the african spurred bc of the demeanor (not as shy) I'm not expecting a dog and I'm not remotely trying to make a comparison however my young one has a zero tolerance when being handled and has a really bad habit of anytime to pick him up to soak or to clean his enclosure or just to try to socialize him, well he quickly how do I put this uses you as a potty. I have read that why the tort is young they really don't enjoy rubbing or really much to no contact.. Am I doing the right thing by letting him do his own thing and really the only time I really handle is during the soaks and feeding time or am I raising what will one day become an unsociable 100 pound don't touch or look at me tort. I love him and don't care either way, but would like some insight on this subject.
Once they recognize you as the one who brings yummy food they will start to notice you more. They are little piggy's and love to eat good stuff. I won my very shy African Leopard tort over by hand feeding her favorite snack (opuntia cactus) everyday. I also try not to pick mine up unless I am moving them from their inside enclosure to their out side enclosure's. None of mine like it and I think it feels very unnatural to them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they are young in the wild, everything eats them. They are naturally a bit more shy and defensive. As they gain age and size, they get more comfortable and confident with their surroundings. They seem to realize they are not going to be eaten. It's when they start feeling "safe" that their outgoing personalities start to show.

As far as handling goes, the more you do it, the more used to it they will get. At first it can be stressful to them, but once they desensitize, they just seem to accept it. Some of them will even begin to seek it out. So the process of desensitization can be stressful, but once desensitized to human handling, it's not stressful at all anymore. Hand feeding will also give them a positive association with you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You asked, "Why Mazuri?"

It is always a very good idea to get a tortoise used to eating either a manufactured food or hay. There will come a time when you don't have access to greens, weeds or even to grocery store foods, and if the tortoise is used to eating Mazuri or one of the other manufactured foods, then he can continue to eat while you try to find the greens, weeds and grocery store foods.

The very first post in this link shows one person's success in using the product:

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10222&highlight=manufactured+diets

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Re: RE: Why Mazuri ??

Yvonne G said:
You asked, "Why Mazuri?"

It is always a very good idea to get a tortoise used to eating either a manufactured food or hay. There will come a time when you don't have access to greens, weeds or even to grocery store foods, and if the tortoise is used to eating Mazuri or on of the other manufactured foods, then he can continue to eat while you try to find the greens, weeds and grocery store foods.

The very first post in this link shows one person's success in using the product:

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10222&highlight=manufactured+diets

Yvonne that's a very good reason. I do sprinkle TNT but have not tried giving my torts any manufactured foods. After reading your response it just seems logical to have something else on hand just in case of an emergency. I am going to do this. :)

argus333

5 Year Member
ya i aggree i feed it 1 or 2 times a week on those days when i can just give them a quick meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.