Wife bought this, I have no idea what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
I am looking for plants to ad to my Box turtles Habitat. My wife bought it and I have no idea what it is.

IMG_20111008_095910.jpg

IMG_20111008_095959.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's Kalanchoe. Box turtles probably won't eat it, but its a lovely plant. Some varieties of kalanchoe (for example, mother of millions) are toxic, but some are edible. I wouldn't worry about it. This is a beautiful plant and will add to your enclosure.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Is it toxic to box turtles?

I did a quick google search and saw a website saying it'd toxic to pets and another that said it's not toxic. Sometimes I hate the internet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's because some varieties are toxic and some aren't. You have to know which variety yours is. I really doubt it would harm your box turtles.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
It will make a nice houseplant, but I have no idea what species it is and I do not want to chance anything.

I have plenty of others that I know are safe and I can use to decorate her house.

Thanks emysemys for such a quick repsonse.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
It is sedum or hens and chicks but most Likely sedum and no I don't think box turtles will eat them because I let mine go in the flower bed and he doesn't mess with them

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Sedum has smaller leaves, and there are tons of varieties of hens and chicks. I agree with Yvonne those flowers say kalanchoe. There are also tons of sedum varities, only one that I know of is toxic. My torts love the 2 sedums that I grow.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Yes, it is absolutely a type of Kalanchoe.

I put it with a couple Unbrella plants (Schefflera arboricola), Dracaena(3 types), English Primrose (Primula vulgaris), Boston Fern. Walmart has a clearance in their plant section. I believe their all non-toxic to box turtle and so far she has not tried to eat any of the plants currently in her enclosure. Although she knocks things down and bulldozes stuff around.

I want to keep rotating Cleos plant as she abuses them. Should be fun.

I love houseplants and I want to collect only plants that are safe. In case the parrots or the turtle wants to snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.