Wild food sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
So, my leopards refuse to eat hibiscus. I have tried it three times now. I always knew they were abnormal lol. They have also started to refuse the spring mix from the store. Right now they will eat cactus, baby greens, yellow squash, basil, honeysuckle, and repcal pellets. They nibbled on the red pepper, but weren't too into it. I just gave them a wild mushroom-fairy circle mushroom (edible) so we'll see if they like that. They won't eat hay or their cuttlebone. I haven't tried fruits. They will eat grass/weeds/dandelions if I pick them, but it's getting colder out so there won't be much left for long. What else can I do or try?? I wanted them to have as natural a diet as I could provide-but they're not cooperating :(

Sara

P.S.-Can I freeze honeysuckle and cactus leaves to have throughout winter?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sara: Have you tried them on the MazuriTortoise Diet? I see that you say your guys will eat Repcal pellets. If they will eat pellets than I suggest Mazuri is a really healthful diet for the grassland tortoises. Our own Ed (EJ) convinced me to try it after seeing the pictures he posted of all his beautiful tortoises that eat Mazuri. Prior to that, I was avidly against any kind of prepared diet for tortoises. My Leopards and Aldabran tortoises ate it at the first offering. None of the other tortoises will eat it. Mazuri can be ordered through your Purina dealer, and usually costs around $20 for a 25lb bag. I should also add that I only feed Mazuri once a week to ensure that my guys are getting the vitamins and minerals they require. The rest of the week they graze and I don't feed them.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sara, freezing does not work it makes things like cactus and honeysuckel mushy. I also tried freezing basil and again mush.
But you can dry it. they will often eat them dried. Also you can order it online (fresh cactus etc) throughout the year.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Ok, I have now been to 5 different pet stores and none of them have mazuri. I'll see if my Agway can order it for me. This may be a silly question-but how do you dry cactus and honeysuckle and such? Thanks again.

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.