Wilko top soil

Churst1997

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
I have a horsefield tortoise who has been living in our indoor tortoise table with coco coir but I’ve just built his/her outdoor enclosure and looking for substrate to add in there, would this be any good? This is the description of the soil
Quicken the growth of your plants with our graded top soil. This 20-litre bag ideal for creating new high-quality beds and borders or for simply improving existing soil in your garden. It is a specially selected rich clay loam soil with a high humus content, which retains nutrients and moisture, making it ideal for use all around the garden. The soil has a balanced, clay, silt and sand composition with plenty of organic matter providing good structural stability under all weather conditions. It has been sieved to remove stones and debris and is weed-free at the point of manufacture. It's also lime and chalks free and perfect for adding nutrients and organic structure to enhance beds and borders. Composition: pH 5.5-7.0. No added peat.

Attachments

• C54455E4-835B-4798-BDB2-1B8BDE63C3A9.png
    C54455E4-835B-4798-BDB2-1B8BDE63C3A9.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why add anything. Isn't the outdoor enclosure built on the ground?
Otherwise I would not use soul that enhances plant growth. Would worry about what is in it to do so.
The ground should be good enough. Let the grass and weeds and dirt be the floor

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a horsefield tortoise who has been living in our indoor tortoise table with coco coir but I’ve just built his/her outdoor enclosure and looking for substrate to add in there, would this be any good? This is the description of the soil
Quicken the growth of your plants with our graded top soil. This 20-litre bag ideal for creating new high-quality beds and borders or for simply improving existing soil in your garden. It is a specially selected rich clay loam soil with a high humus content, which retains nutrients and moisture, making it ideal for use all around the garden. The soil has a balanced, clay, silt and sand composition with plenty of organic matter providing good structural stability under all weather conditions. It has been sieved to remove stones and debris and is weed-free at the point of manufacture. It's also lime and chalks free and perfect for adding nutrients and organic structure to enhance beds and borders. Composition: pH 5.5-7.0. No added peat.
Soil should never b used as tortoise substrate. Its made from all sorts of weird stuff and composted yard waste that could be toxic. The people making it intend for people to grow plants in it, not have small animals live on/in it.

Here is the current and correct care info, including substrate:

Churst1997

Essex
It is built on the ground but I have lined it (with plenty of drainage holes) as the area we have set out for him there were thousands of tiny stones which we couldn’t dig all them up and didn’t want him eating them