Top soil question.

WildeAxel

Location (City and/or State)
Abbotsford BC
I went into my local garden center and asked for organic top soil since I didn't see any and after a brisk comment about not knowing what organic soil actually is he directed me to a bag of "the best no additives top soil". I gave it a once over and bought it, trying to get out of the store as quickly as possible. It wasn't until I got home that I saw in fine print on the bottom 'nitrogen fortified'

Not sure what that means or is and I have called the company and I am waiting a reply back.

Anyone have any experience with this top soil?

EDIT: Lady called me back after checking with her manager saying nothing is added and it is all natural nitrogen and would be suitable for animals.

I would still like any feedback on this tern if you have any? I have all the materials to finally change out Axls bedding to a more suitable one for burrowing and I would like to do that today if possible.

Attachments

• DSCF4731.JPG
    DSCF4731.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF4732.JPG
    DSCF4732.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soil shouldn't be used as a substrate for tortoises. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what toxic composted plants or toxic yard chemicals might be in it. Its also very messy and turns to mud when wet. I've gotten batches where some of the material was not 100% composted and I could make out jacaranda leaves. Jacaranda is toxic and I had to pull a piece of it out of a baby's mouth. That was the last day I used soil under a tortoise.

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
Soil shouldn't be used as a substrate for tortoises. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what toxic composted plants or toxic yard chemicals might be in it. Its also very messy and turns to mud when wet. I've gotten batches where some of the material was not 100% composted and I could make out jacaranda leaves. Jacaranda is toxic and I had to pull a piece of it out of a baby's mouth. That was the last day I used soil under a tortoise.

So, just the EcoEarth then, with nothing added?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So, just the EcoEarth then, with nothing added?
What species and size? I like coco coir only for baby Testudo and desert tortoises. Adults of those species, and babies of all other species do best on fine grade orchid bark.

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
What species and size? I like coco coir only for baby Testudo and desert tortoises. Adults of those species, and babies of all other species do best on fine grade orchid bark.

Almost three month old hatchling hermanns tortoise. 1.75" long, 1.50" wide.

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
Almost three month old hatchling hermanns tortoise. 1.75" long, 1.50" wide.

I have also just found a half bag of zoomed reptisoil a 4 part peat moss, soil, sand and carbon. Is this at all suitable for the hermanns? I would like to include live, safe plants for him.

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
I have also just found a half bag of zoomed reptisoil a 4 part peat moss, soil, sand and carbon. Is this at all suitable for the hermanns? I would like to include live, safe plants for him.

Apologies for multiposting but there is no edit button. This is the image from the fb group that I saw the soil mixture in.

Attachments

• fb.png
    fb.png
    516.6 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use any soil, sand, or peat under a tortoise. All of those are bad and can do harm.

For hermanni, I'd use plain coco coir.

And FB groups give terrible tortoise advice. Argue with their insane incorrect info and they will ban you.

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
I would not use any soil, sand, or peat under a tortoise. All of those are bad and can do harm.

For hermanni, I'd use plain coco coir.

And FB groups give terrible tortoise advice. Argue with their insane incorrect info and they will ban you.

Noted about the fb groups also with soil, sand and peat.

Thank you!

Reactions: Tom