Will he keep growing?

Thecook23

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I posted a form earlier about my tortoise and fixed the issues that you guys saw. He is just under a year (10 months) and his growth was stunted. But will he be smaller forever or will he start to grow as he normally would? Has anyone else had a slow start for their tortoise and then been able to see them grow to a full adult? I think at this point I'm just paranoid but I know you guys will know the answer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I rescued a leopard that was stunted. He was kept in a 10 gallon aquarium. I believe he was 3 at the time I got him and was size of a 1 year old or less. Way smaller thrn the one I raised and was same age.
Once he got set up right, and had some hydro therapy, he couldn't walk or scoot, he caught up to my other one and actually passed him. It took a year or two, but yes they can grow to their proper size for their age.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yes it will grow normally. No need to
worry. I have 2 from the same clutch of eggs. One I raised and one was cared for by another couple. Donald the one I raised is getting close to 40 pounds. Squiggy the other one weighed a little less than 4 pounds when I got him back less than a year ago is now over 9 and a half pounds and growing nicely. They will be 3 years old in August.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I posted a form earlier about my tortoise and fixed the issues that you guys saw. He is just under a year (10 months) and his growth was stunted. But will he be smaller forever or will he start to grow as he normally would? Has anyone else had a slow start for their tortoise and then been able to see them grow to a full adult? I think at this point I'm just paranoid but I know you guys will know the answer.
There is no way to know. Only time will tell. Do your best and it is what it is. In most cases, the tortoise will eventually start to grow when hydration, temperatures and diet are all correct, but sometimes they still don't. Be patient. It often takes a couple of years to "get over that hump".