Could My Tortoise really be almost 7? (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Coffee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
U.S.A.
My friend gave me his tortoise. He claimed it was turning 7 soon, but I'm seeing other Sulcatas on here that aren't even a year old that are approaching his size. You can read my bio for more info on him and how I got him, how he's doing, etc.
I just wanted to know if you thought it was possible that he actually is almost seven. If so could his growth be stunted forever? could he still grow to full potential?

topview.png

frontshell.png
gface.png

back.png

bottom.png

He was eating some stuff right before this, hence the green mouth.
His name is Dr. Coffee
~Ryan

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its possible Ryan. She should be much larger than that at 7, but sometimes it just doesn't go that way. No way to know the age for sure, unless the breeder or someone knows the hatch date. The best thing you can do at this point is provide good temps, a good diet with lots of variety, sunshine, exercise and LOTS of hydration. Some Mazuri 2-3 times a week wouldn't hurt your cause either.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ryan:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

From the growth spurt patterns on the carapace I'd say it's very possible the tortoise IS 7 years old. Now that the tortoise is under the care of someone who cares about the way it is taken care of, it will probably start to grow a little more. Do your research, feed it a good, fiberous diet and get it outside into the sun as much as possible. One good thing to say about Dr. Coffee's previous care is that the tortoise grew smoothly! :p (and I think he's male)

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Happy to see a tortoise go to a good home. As other have said, a good diet with exercise will probably go a long way. Even if he is 7 years old, why not go ahead and soak him in some luke warm water once a day.

Congrats on your acquisition. The ramming thing is probably some aggression from being relocated, and insecurity in a new environment. It will pass just be consistent with your care.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wow, thats a tiny 7 yo.. but do as above, and make sure he gets calcium.. and lots of outside time.. let us know his progress..

TRVEESO

5 Year Member
Yes, I have often wondered the same thing about my little guy (not even sure if "he's" a guy) and I believe he is about 3 years old. And yours looks to be a bit smaller than mine. Welcome, by the way.

Dr. Coffee

5 Year Member
U.S.A.
emysemys said:
Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?
Bowling Green, Ohio (BGSU)
Tom said:
Some Mazuri 2-3 times a week wouldn't hurt your cause either.
I was about to buy some yesterday from tortoisesupply.com, but the shipping was ridiculous. Any links to sites that charge reasonable shipping rates?

Thanks for all the feedback. Really glad I found this forum, I'll be on here all the time.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I think for sure could be seven. Growth looks nice and consistant. Nice looking tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.