Will she get bigger??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Eloise at last weigh in a week ago was 291 grams and still 4 inches long....I've had her for a month now and I didn't expect her to visibly get bigger by now but I am curious as to whether you guys think she is done growing or not.....any thoughts? Pic below incase you need it.

emj side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I dont know if she will get bigger but I had to tell ya how cute she is!!!!! :) :)

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Is that a leash in the back round? I didn't know you could take tortoises for walks :p. As far as getting bigger I think I read a thread about russains will stop groth once you see a lip on their shell :S I'm not to sure but deffinitly a good looking tort

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I would think that she would get a bit bigger friend. Not %100 certain, but I think that she will. My female Russian grew about a half inch in roughly 8 months, so it's definitely a slow process lol.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
My 9 year old female is about 6-7 inch's, not sure of her weight. I would say there is room for growth for yours.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
She will most likely grow more, but maybe not. Most Russian females grow to be 6-8 inches.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I bet she will grow. Most females end up 6-8 inches. My 'big' female is close to 8 inches, and still growing/gaining (slowly). My smallest female is a little under 5 inches, but judging by how much she is eating, she is gearing up for a growth spurt.
Tortoises (normally) grow slowly. It might be fun to trace her outline, and then you can look back in a year or so, and see just how much she has grown! :)

Eloise said:
Eloise at last weigh in a week ago was 291 grams and still 4 inches long....I've had her for a month now and I didn't expect her to visibly get bigger by now but I am curious as to whether you guys think she is done growing or not.....any thoughts? Pic below incase you need it.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Rover15 said:
Is that a leash in the back round? I didn't know you could take tortoises for walks :p. As far as getting bigger I think I read a thread about russains will stop groth once you see a lip on their shell :S I'm not to sure but deffinitly a good looking tort

Can you clarify this? What is a lip and where on the shell is it located? Do you have a link to the original thread where you read this?

Eloise said:

4 inches is very small for an adult Russian, especially a female. Chances are she's not done growing. I've noticed that russians just grow very slowly compared to other species (such as sulcatas). Over the last five years, my RT (who I got at 4 inches), has grown less than 2 inches. Thats less than 1/20th of an inch a month. Your tort may be growing, its just not enough to measure in a month. Try measuring again in 6 months or a year and I'll bet you'll notice a difference.

As a matter of fact, I would not trust a sex determination of "female" until the Russian is at least 5 inches. This is because, when I got my male at 4 inches, he had a tiny tail and looked female. Most of them look female before they reach sexual maturity. But, by the time he was 5 inches, he had sprouted a massive, manly tail and there was no denying his maleness. Just something to consider.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Russians grow to be much bigger than 4 inches. Males get to be around 5-6 inches (exceptionally 7 inches), and females grow to 7-8 inches, and sometimes even 9-10 inches.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
mctlong said:
Rover15 said:

Can you clarify this? What is a lip and where on the shell is it located? Do you have a link to the original thread where you read this?

I tried to find it but couldn't ir might have been a thread on eastern hermanns I was researching them for my wife cause she wanted to buy one ... But that was last week and she tends to change her mind more them my kids at times XD

Sorry if there is any confusion I'll keep looking to see if I can find something

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
So yes she is most likely going to ger bigger but I probably wont notice it too soon. To answer some of your questions There is no leash in the back ground, it's a purse strap...lol...although after seeing her run for my hand last night thinking I had food in it I think a torti leash may be a good idea if I'm going to let her romp outside this summer. I like that idea about tracing her outline..I'll have to do that this weekend..I know she could turn out to be a he...Right now I like calling her a she...Her full name is Eloise Mystery though so if she turns out to be a he we could just call him Mystery...my son and I compromised on the name by "using" both and giving her a middle name...at 5 years old my son is quite proud of her rarely used middle name :) Thanks for all the helpful responses!! I enjoy all your feed back and I love reading everyone's posts and pictures this forum is quite interesting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.