Will this table be suitable for a horsefields?

Status
Not open for further replies.

latenthippie

5 Year Member
Hello, after a great welcome in the introductions thread I've had a good look around and wonder if anyone would be able to advise me about a new home for my horsefields tortoise (who shall be arriving tomorrow!)

I have done some research on habitats etc and think I have found the tortoise table for me. Dimensions wise, the overall size of the table is 48" long x 24" wide x 8.5" high. I'll add a couple of pictures on here. I have emailed the guy that makes them and he has agreed to make one 72" long x 36"wide x8.5" high if I would like. Would this be more suitable or would this potentially cause problems with the heat gradient of the habitat?

I have MILLIONS of questions but finding him a suitable home is where I'm starting because I want to get him out of the cramped glass fronted vivarium he's in at the moment. (He may be a she by the way, we'll find out tomorrow. It's a long story!)

I'll attempt to post a couple of pictures of the tortoise table I'm looking at just now. ANY advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• tort table 2.jpg
    tort table 2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 125
  • tortoise table.jpg
    tortoise table.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 92

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would try to go a bit taller... russians love to escape and can climb. Once you add the substrate, that wall gets shorter.. or put a lip around the top and cap the corners so they cant get over.

he does a very nice job!
is it on wheels or do you place that on a table you already have?
The floor is cooler and dog can jump in.. if you have them..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anthony:

That really is a beautiful tortoise enclosure, but its probably pretty expensive. You could do something similar to that yourself for a lot cheaper. Go around to yard sales or used furniture stores and buy an old 5-shelf book case. Remove the shelves, line it with plastic and there you go!

Please think about an outdoor enclosure too. Russian tortoises really do better outside.

latenthippie

5 Year Member
Hi guys, on a rare break at work. I'd love to house her outside, but I'm not sure how she'd cope with the weather in north west England?! This table is surprisingly cheap really and as I have a bit of spare cash at the moment I thought I'd push the boat out a bit. I will be placing this table on a home made stand with storage cupboard underneath. The guy who makes the tables is very flexible on measurements and I'm sure he'll make a taller version if I ask. I've considered making my own, but worry about using the wrong materials etc. It's still an option though. Thanks for your advice, I'll check in properly tomorrow after work to see what other options I have.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It is a beautiful table, and the length/width sound good. Yes, see if he will make the sides even 16" if possible. that way you can add substrate and not worry about the little climbers. Think about lining it with a sturdy shower curtain or pond liner or shower pan liner (found at larger hardware stores) to protect the wood from moisture. You can fold the edges and staple it to the sides.
You may need a secondary basking light (since those are not MVB's, you can just use a clamp light), to maintain heat throughout with that size, but the size is great. If it might be nice to have the option a second place to attach the main light stand around the side a bit, if you find you want to move it in the future.
If you have the money, that would be a fine purchase. You won't be able to keep the tort outside year round where you live, so this will do for part of the year.
For Horsfields, outdoors at least part of the year is the best. They really come alive.
Look on the the site below for more info about enclosures in the colder regions (I like this site as I am in the NW US, similar weather).
www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php. Click on 'housing' and then 'outdoor enclosures' for some great ideas using greenhouses or cold frames attached to an outdoor run.
Best of luck

christinevandorm

5 Year Member
Olympia, WA
WOW, I love that tortoise table, did you end up getting it? Can I ask where you purchased it ??? Sounds like your from England and not the USA???

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Can I ask how much it was, and where it was from, please?

That's an incredible table, so beautiful! I live in NW England too, and I've got a table in mind for my new tortoise, but it's cheap and basic. That looks like a real 'home'.

I know it's probably far out of my price range, but wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.