Willies got a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
Ok so Willie is a little confused. We moved him out to his new " taj ma Willie" the oil heater is in and im keeping it at a comfy warm 75 degree room. The problem is in the am he can't find his way out. It's a 3 x 4 room, we have at least 1/2 blocked off. I have no extra lights on inside so the he should see the sun in the morning and find his way out but he seems to be lost. How can I get him to get out by himself, please keep in mind I go to work way before he gets up.. I leave about 7 am at the latest, he usually come around about 9.. So I'm not available to "train" him to come out. I've been leaving school on my break to check on him the last few days but won't be able to do that for to many more days.. In the evening we show him the door and he usually follows a strawberry in but will back out until he figures out his classy little cardboard box is waiting for him... I know it's hard to teach an old dogs new tricks but my tort has to be smarter than an old dog!

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
View attachment 16168

Try this one, thanks...

Ha ok on my iPad if I tap on the post it goes to another page where the pic is. Never had this issue... Tinypic and I dont get along... I think it's user error...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Trying

Hi Mary:

He may be a little afraid of the small step. In the morning, right before you leave for work, place him up to the door with his head outside the clear panels. Then go on to work. Hopefully he'll go out on his own.

You may need to put him inside at night for several days before he gets the hang of it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Yvonne, I've had to do this to all my outside tortoises until they got the hang of it...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your picture situation is very strange. When I saw this thread early this a.m. none of your posts showed a picture. When I merged your other thread just now with this thread, all of your posts show a picture. The strange world of computing.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Ya, I have no clue about the pictures. I tried a ramp he will have nothing to do with that. The small steps are bigger than they look and The little wood deck on front actually came about because he likes to sun himself on a similar area in the backyard.. Anyway this morning I pulled his cardboard box right up to he door so when he turned around he saw the lift and had no where else to go.. It worked and he was out by himself. This evening I baited him with a strawberry, his favorite. Every time he took a bite I moved it into the house at first he wasn't sure but then he went in walked around and checked things out saw his box and went right in. So I guess every few days I'll move his box a little more away from the door and ever night I'll have to give him a yummy snack.. Of course my children think it is very unfair that he gets a snack and goes straight to bed without brushing his teeth... thanks for everyone trying to help and let me know if anything else comes up...idea wise...

Sophiasmom

5 Year Member
Hi..I would suggest that you maybe try and make the step not so high..just a thought.
I am so jealous of your set up..I will be re-thinking mine now that I saw how totally cool your is..

Sophiasmom

5 Year Member
don't know if you got my thought on the step to the house..I am new to this and have NO idea what I am doing..
Anyway..I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tortoise yard and house you built..I will be definitely thinking about my sophias yard and doing some remodeling this spring..
Maybe the step is to high Sophia is afraid of heights and I know she would not go down that step...now up would be different as she loves to climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.