Wine Cooler

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I just read an old post where our member used a thermostat and flexwatt tape to convert a wine cooler into an incubator. I happen to have a wine cooler and I want to do just that. I'm dissatisfied with using the Zoo Med Reptibators because of the amount of eggs I incubate. Those are fine for a couple clutches, but I soon run out of room for my eggs.

Am I to assume the wine cooler is not plugged in and the flexwatt tape and low grade fan are what heats the inside?

Would I, a total ignoramus when it comes to things like this, be able to convert my wine cooler to an incubator?

OliveW

Branford, FL
Would I, a total ignoramus when it comes to things like this, be able to convert my wine cooler to an incubator?

I've seen your common sense and intelligence here. If someone else was able to do it, I'm positive you can as well!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just read an old post where our member used a thermostat and flexwatt tape to convert a wine cooler into an incubator. I happen to have a wine cooler and I want to do just that. I'm dissatisfied with using the Zoo Med Reptibators because of the amount of eggs I incubate. Those are fine for a couple clutches, but I soon run out of room for my eggs.

Am I to assume the wine cooler is not plugged in and the flexwatt tape and low grade fan are what heats the inside?

There are a few YouTube videos on this…..

And this one too

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Whew, I thought you were hitting the sauce lmao.
I know you can do it. Share when you do please.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have two. Though they are Pepsi fridges like in a gas station rather then a wine cooler but it’s the same idea. You can do it. One I have uses heat tape the other I did with radiant heat panels. Rhp were easier no wiring required it’s all plug and play.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you all! That's just what I need. I'll watch the videos to see what fits my situation. And I like the RHP suggestion.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
I have used flexwatt heat tape in the past for my python egg incubator. I prefer the flexwatt over the RHP since it can lay flat against the walls and take up less space. A computer fan on the top and bottom will help circulate the hot air over the heat tape. I also completely took out the motor and any cooling elements from the fridge. It made the unit much lighter and eliminates any chances of the fridge accidentally turning on.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I also completely took out the motor and any cooling elements from the fridge. It made the unit much lighter and eliminates any chances of the fridge accidentally turning on.
Please, I'm not taking issue with anything.....this just struck me funny.....I'd unplug it<LMAO>

I'm curious though............how many eggs do you guys handle in a year? Y?

I assumed you guys maybe handled 50-100 .....but now that I think about it, some clutches are more than that............so, how many do you guys handle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually get three or four leopard clutches @ maybe 20 eggs each, two Manouria clutches @ around 50 eggs each, two or three yellowfoot clutches at around four eggs each and am hoping for Radiata eggs soon.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
Please, I'm not taking issue with anything.....this just struck me funny.....I'd unplug it<LMAO>

I'm curious though............how many eggs do you guys handle in a year? Y?

I assumed you guys maybe handled 50-100 .....but now that I think about it, some clutches are more than that............so, how many do you guys handle?
Of course, that would be the sensible thing to do. I more so meant for any family members or children passing by and seeing a loose cord hanging out of the wall. You never know if someone might be curious enough to plug it in. I would rather be safe than sorry.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Of course, that would be the sensible thing to do. I more so meant for any family members or children passing by and seeing a loose cord hanging out of the wall. You never know if someone might be curious enough to plug it in. I would rather be safe than sorry.
I just cut the cord off mine