Winter care for Gulf Coast boxies

Turtle mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hi,
I live in New Orleans and have 4 Gulf Coast box turtles that hatched in January. I am new to the turtle world and don't know how to care for them in the winter? They are outside in an enclosure; should I leave them outside for the winter or bring them inside this first year? Also should I continue to feed them every other day?
Any information would be great.
Thanks,
Turtle mom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For my box turtles, I make a big pile of garden trash on the uphill side of their yard. The turtles dig down into the pile and hibernate in there. Over winter, I continue to add to the pile for more protection from freezing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the fall I continue to place food on the feeding tile until they stop eating on their own. In the spring I don't offer food until the nights are consistently over 60F degrees.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You don't have to hibernate them. Especially gulf coasts.

JennK

I don't personally hibernate them, especially when young or have had illnesses. However, it is natural for them to hibernate and a lot of people choose to do so. It is your decision either way.

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
If they are outside and have been, they will hibernate on their own. I offer food until they don't eat it.
I collected some leaves and pine straw for them last weekend and put it along one part of their pen. Still warm, even with the cooler nights, but once it gets cooler, I'll put another pile of leaves/mulch/pine straw on top of the current pile and as it shrinks over the winter, I'll add another pile as well.

Mine head down toward the end of October/early November and pop up around March

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My Gulf Coast hibernates outside every year here in NY. I never had a problem with him, and they are under three feet of snow sometimes. I stopped feeding them two weeks ago. Their stomach's should be totally empty when they hibernate. For the last week I have noticed them sitting in the pond for hours every day. It's amazing how they know what to do to prepare for hibernation. They don't even eat the ripe figs that fall to the ground now.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have one two year old GC that's still too small to hibernate here, so he will be inside for the Winter.