Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That is absolutely beautiful!! Good job.

Quite a few people mount the heat pads on the wall rather than on the floor.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
OK, fantabulous!
Thanks for the step by step instructions.
I will take one with blue trim, please :p;)

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
Im soooo jealous! Im trying so hard to make something half as nice as this. I found someone local who makes custom dog houses and at first quote was reasonable but then he quickly trippled the price on me...grrrrr. you are very skilled, that is just beautiful!

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
LittlefootNCera said:
Im soooo jealous! Im trying so hard to make something half as nice as this. I found someone local who makes custom dog houses and at first quote was reasonable but then he quickly trippled the price on me...grrrrr. you are very skilled, that is just beautiful!

Supplies were right around 225, with all the screws, lumber, paint, and tie-in brackets. We didn't have to buy shingles though, as my dad had some left over from when his house was redone. It's actually my first lumber project, so I'm very satisfied at how it came out. Think I might do a storage shed for my backyard next year. Once the frame is laid out, it's all smooth sailing from there.:D

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Looks very nice. If my wife ever sees this I'm sure she'll give me a hard time about how ugly my shed is by comparison. A word of experience, keep an eye on the floor. The only time that I have been unsatisfied with using drylok to seal wood is when I tried to seal OSB with it on a surface that got a lot of moisture. When that OSB starts to fall apart from the urine, I'd replace it with real plywood.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Stanfield heat matts from Osbourne industries are the best price i found.
they are made for pigs and are very durable.
they come with a thermostat as well. I have also heard talk of people using Dimmer switches for a thermostat.. cheaper.
:)

is the Cedar ok to use? no toxic fumes ?

M

Maggie Cummings

Get a Stanfield mat with a 911 thermostat from Osborn Industries. That's what I have had for Bob for 6 years and it withstands his digging and pooping and peeing and weight (102) so that's my advice, but be sure to get the thermostat you need to control the temperature...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
That is Excellant!

You said your housing 2, 6year old Sulcatas in it this year? I would suggest that next year when you replace the flooring (and you will) you go ahead and build another one just like it because in the next couple of years you'll have to make the doors larger...:) that ok... the 1st one is the hardest....after that they get easier to build!:D

This is WalkingRock, he's 11 yrs old and his house is 3.5' X 7.5' (4x8, roof that hindges open) and a dirt Floor for burrowing ( I don't have to replace this floor....very often!) The heater is a Mini-Oil Filled Radiator (5"x13"x17"){cost $26} and at 3/4 power will keep his house warm to 70 deg F on a freezing night!:cool: The Top of his enclosure is covered with Lawn Furniture cushions for insulation this winter and is now covered with a brown tarp to protect from rain and frost.
DSCN0354.jpg
DSCN0345.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.