winter feeding in Chicago

Dessy

Hi @wellington i couldnt help but notice you said chicago? I also live in chicago and im curious as to what you feed your tortoises during the winter months because im constantly ordering seeds that im not even sure will grow. Thanks im advance :D

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi @wellington i couldnt help but notice you said chicago? I also live in chicago and im curious as to what you feed your tortoises during the winter months because im constantly ordering seeds that im not even sure will grow. Thanks im advance :D
I feed grocery greens, cactus, mazuri and any leafs I can get, like mulberry, grape and rise of Sharon that I collect towards fall. Even the dry leaf is eaten when I put either mazuri on it or just mazuri water. The greens I buy are dandelion, escarole, mustard, endive, kale, collard, spring mix, pretty much any green I can find. I grew seeds when I had just one leopard and he was very little. I had fairly good luck, but, not good enough to grow for three leopard and a Russian. Was never good at keeping plants alive. The hardest part about living in a cold winters climate to me, is not the food, it's the room to roam and getting them to move. Be creative with the way you feed. Like, not only in one spot.

Kaliman1962

i just got a baby Sulcata, would love to talk to people, i'm in chicago too, i don't have to worry yet, but i want some advice & a little chicago group would be nice,